Monday, December 1, 2008

Another Chilly Windy Day. Apple Crumble

It was chilly this morning when I got up, so I wouldn't let Bobcat out on her screen porch. I look at the thermometer out there when I open the drapes each morning. A couple of hours later, she saw the sunshine coming in there, went and sat by that patio door, obviously wanting to go out. I let her out, but she soon turned around and came back in. Gee, doesn't she know by now, that 'mother knows best' ? It never did get warm, and the wind is blowing the tops of the trees around. That means more pine needles to rake up.

MaeMae has been whining to go outside all day, and then when she faces the cold north wind, wants back in again. I feel like her doorman, er, door person. I know she misses her "mom", and I think that she is really wanting me to take her for a ride to see Jay, but he is back in Houston.

The forecast is better for the next two days, and will be 74° again. That's more like it. Maybe we will feel more like getting something done.

We were taking about Apple Crumble the other night. I don't have my British sister-in-law's recipe, so I had to search for one. Here is some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumble
As it says, it can be made with any fruit really.

Ingredients:
4 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
Preparation:Place apples in a lightly buttered baking pan or dish, about 10 x 6 or 9-inch square. Add water. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the apples. Bake apple crumble at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes, or until apples are tender. Serve apple crumble warm with ice cream, if desired. Apple crumble serves 6.

Another indoor day.

No comments: