Monday, December 27, 2010

Lead in Make-Up. Lead Paint and Birds. No Greenies.

Don't Become the Next Victim of Lead Poisoning:

Most cosmetics today contain the poisonous metal lead. Ask the FDA to ban this substance from our make-up!

There is simply no reason we should be applying poison to our bodies. Sign the petition asking Commissioner of Food and Drugs Margaret Hamburg to ban the use of lead in all cosmetics.
Don't Become the Next Victim of Lead PoisoningSponsored by: The Breast Cancer Site
Lead is a poisonous metal that can cause serious negative reactions in the human body. It's been proven to severely damage brain function, the nervous system, and the kidneys.
Would you apply a substance with those implications to your face or body? It's safe to say no one would do such a thing, yet an overwhelmingly large amount of cosmetics in today's make-up market contain lead.
Petition at:

Black-capped Petrel by Glen Tepke

Black-capped Petrel by Glen Tepke

"The Laysan Albatross's breeding colony on Midway Atoll is threatened by toxic lead paint peeling from dozens of aging buildings that is eaten by curious chicks, and by the invasive plant Verbesina that chokes out nests so that parent birds cannot reach their young to feed them. ABC is working to eliminate both these threats, and has also helped significantly reduce the deaths of Laysan and other albatrosses on longline fishing hooks."

The Challenge
"Seabird bycatch from commercial and artisanal longline fisheries is decimating seabird populations on a global scale. Additional threats to seabirds, including predation by introduced mammals on seabird breeding islands, marine trash, poisoning from pollutants such as lead, and potentially global warming, have made seabirds the most threatened group of birds on Earth.

An astounding 19 out of 22 species of albatross have now been flagged by scientists as vulnerable, endangered, or critically endangered. American Bird Conservancy is the only U.S. national bird conservation group working throughout the Western Hemisphere to solve these problems for albatrosses and other seabirds."
To learn more and help support ABC's efforts to protect the Laysan Albatross and other seabirds, click here.

"You may have noticed you can no longer find those trendy green dental bones at your local grocery store or Wal-Mart.
NUTRO Products, Inc. says it is pulling its Greenies line of pet dental chews from supermarkets and other mass markets. Beginning in June, the Greenies -- which have been blamed for illness and deaths in some dogs and cats -- will be distributed only through veterinary hospitals and pet specialty retailers.
It's the latest attempt to resolve highly-publicized incidents of pet deaths attributed to the popular treats. Pet owners said the treats failed to be properly digested and led to fatal intestinal obstructions." More at:


Jay and I drove onto the next town to buy some more things we needed to continue working on the cargo trailer.    The main thing was more insulation, as we can't put up all the paneling with out it. 

Another thing was a new shade for the grooming room, where my foster cats sleep.  Yesterday, I was sitting at my desk when heard a strange noise, and out of the corner of my eye a billowing white sheet came at me.  The door to the grooming room was open as the foster cats have the run of the house in the afternoons.  It was poor little Patches, she had her claw stuck in one of the shades that I lower on cold nights.  She was frantic, and came to her "Mom" to be released from this terrible white monster.
The prices were not what I was used to paying at Home Depot, so we also stopped at Lowes.  Their cheap shades had gone up too, but they were out of them.  The shades do help keep out the cold.

As we happened to be passing their 'Scratch & Dented Dept', I saw a Levelor shade, on sale for $2.50, so the shade lady cut it to the right length for me. 

Also the carpet dept. had a great big remnant of dark blue commercial carpet for $10, so we were glad that we stopped there, today.

1 comment:

KarenInTheWoods said...

Yup, our collie had ONE Greenie and was puking and horrible diarrhea from it, and the sheltie was gagging it up too. That was it, out they went in the garbage. A few months later both dogs were doing the same thing, turns out a friend's teen daughter had given each of our dogs a Greenie! We had to clean and wash icky shaggy long furred doggie butts and clean the carpets in the motorhome after that, plus bring home stinky wet dogs the whole way too.

No more Greenies.. yay!

Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard