Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Do You Have Any Hidden Leaks? Send A Card to Our Troops. Shredder Oil

A friend called me to tell me that her renters, here in this subdivision, had reported water leaking under the trailer and something was wrong with the tub faucet.  Did I know anyone who could fix it for her?
 
I went over there and took these pictures for her:

Faucet-coming-offBroken-off-back-faucet

The inlet had broken off the faucet at the back, and this was why:

 Slightly-turned to-left
Can you see that the left one had been installed slightly askew, so that had stressed the faucet. 
I don't know how it lasted as long as it did.

It must have been seeping for a long time, as the floor under the tub was rotten to the point of seeing daylight.

I can get a new faucet and install it properly, but someone else will have to crawl under the trailer to fix the floor.  
Then all the wet insulation that fell down, and the belly pan, will have to be replaced.       I don't do that anymore!

So the moral of this, and the video below is:    Always check everywhere for leaks!

_____________________

You may have already seen this, but it is good advice:

"My friend Mike at http://www.rvsrusma.com/ showed me what happens when you buy plumbing replacement parts from a big box store rather than an RV parts store.  Even though the replacement part fit fine, it was not flexible enough  to be effective in an RV that has lots of motion. It was made of the wrong materials.   In a land based home this part would have been fine, but not in an RV.   Leakage over a period of time created floor rot that has taken over $8000 to remedy, plus the loss of the use of the RV for an extended time frame.


I think the point here is that if the owner had bought the part at an RV parts store, the clerk would have given him a product made of a different substance. At a big box store, the clerk is not going to be aware that RVs would need a different type of part."

Did you see they even had to remove the slide to get to all the damage?

____________________

I know you have seen this before, so this is just a reminder:

"If you go to this web site, http://www.letssaythanks.com/   you can pick out a thank you card and Xerox will print it and it will be sent to a soldier that is currently serving in Iraq. You can't pick out who gets it, but it will go to a member of the armed services.
How AMAZING it would be if we could get everyone we know to send one!!!    It is FREE and it only takes a second.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the soldiers received a bunch of these?    Whether you are for or against the war, our soldiers over there need to know we are behind them.
This takes just 10 seconds and it's a wonderful way to say thank you.   
Please take the time to pass it on for others to do. 
We can never say enough thank yous. 
Thanks for taking to time to support our military!"
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
____________________

As we didn't work today, I spent some time shredding that stupid bulk mail that keeps on piling up.  But my shredder was wheezing and groaning.  I hate having to tear my name and address off everything!   So I drove north up the road to our local RV store/ RV service/ RV park, and restaurant, at The Fish Pond, http://www.conveniencerv.com/index.html  and bought a faucet for Mary, and a water tank filler for the cargo trailer.    Then headed south to the next town to buy some Shredder Oil at Office Depot.       Now it works a lot better.
 
While I was there, I went into Home Depot next door, and bought the fittings to install Mary's new faucet.
It started out cold, but now it is a beautiful sunny day.

3 comments:

Gypsy said...

My $12 shredder hasn't been working so well lately. Do you mean to tell me that I can buy "shredder oil" and it might help? Where do you put the oil?

I always learn the most amazing things on your blog!

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Thank you for your comment, Gypsy.

You can put the oil across where the 'teeth' are, or you can put some in a big zig zag pattern on a sheet of paper and run it through.
Having searched for it online, I bought it at Office Depot as it was cheaper than Walmart!

Misty sends a 'Woof' to Lady.
Happy Trails, Penny, TX

Travels with Emma said...

Just so you know, my last rig had a top side AC, but this rig doesn't. Everything is down below back by the gas pusher engine. I will be diligent about replacing the filter from now on. :)