Friday, December 24, 2010

"Merry Christmas". Visiting and Cooking.

Many good intentioned people have sent me Christmas Greetings. 

I thank you, and appreciate the thoughts behind them.  

I wish all of you very best wishes, for EVERY day, not just at this time of the year.

I have been trying to make people understand why I do not celebrate Christmas.


It was explained to me thus: 

If someone offered you a glass of water with one drop of sewage in it, you would shun it, right?   That is the way I feel about Christmas.  

As it is based on old pagan customs,  God would not want any part of it.

Please don't judge me, as I will not judge you.         Matt:7-1    Judge not, that you be not judged.


 KJV: Romans: 14-5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

We have a choice. We can choose the feast days instituted by God or the holidays substituted by men unwittingly deceived by Satan.

2 Tim: 3-16  All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

But it is very difficult to explain that all these Christmas festivities are sickening to people who have chosen not to celebrate it, for religious reasons.       I see this every time I look across the street:

Decorations

I try not to look that way, as it only reminds me of the pagan origins. And what has Santa got to do with Jesus?
_____________________

Today:

This afternoon, I went over to Becky's, my ex-daughter-in-law's house as she asked me to help her.
She is a kind, good hearted gal, has a little house, a fixer-upper, all paid for, and she is my granddaughter, Michelle's, mother, so I agreed.  
I did not agree with what she was doing, but she needed help. 
It saddened me to see her struggling and striving so hard to make this meal for her guests, as she doesn't usually cook.  How she had managed to raise two grown kids, and now a toddler, I don't know.

She knows that I do not celebrate Christmas, and as I was leaving, she said "You don't want to stay to celebrate Jesus' birth?"  So I replied that the only birthdays celebrated in the Bible were by the pagans, and that Jesus was born in the Autumn, and that I did not wish to the celebrate the 25th. December, the birthday of pagan gods.

She never knew this, and now understands why I wanted to leave before the guests arrived and the meal was served.  Her daughter, my granddaughter, was not there yet, but I am meeting her on Sunday, anyway.

Here she is with little toddler, Carson, so I took this picture, which she wanted to have with her tree in the background.


Becky-Carson-2
I would rather have taken it from her front porch, with the view of the little fishing lake, trolling motors only, in the background:


 Lake-at-Beckys

We live on opposite sides of our little town, a 12 mile trip each way.   It was an enjoyable visit today.


____________________

Video Transcript

The Christmas controversy is here again. Do you say "Happy Holidays" or has the pendulum swung to pressure you to say "Merry Christmas"?
[ video clip ]
Would Jesus really tell us that "it's ok to say "Merry Christmas"? We know He never said that and it's not written in the bible.  I understand the sentiment.
But did you know that thousands upon thousands of Christians do not say "Merry Christmas"  Why?  Because they don't celebrate Christmas. Now why not?
They've found that no matter how good the intention, no matter how spiritual we try to make it, no matter how heartfelt, the fact is that Jesus did not say to celebrate His birth.
Do you believe your bible is God's standard of truth? If so, here's a challenge for you—go to your bible and find out what days Jesus commanded to be observed. It will surprise you.
Do you know God's Holy Days?  Find out about them so you can honor Him in the way that He commands and appreciates.  And it just might change your greeting.
For GN Magazine, I'm Steve Myers.
____________________

The belief that Jesus was born on or around Dec. 25 simply has no basis in fact, even if 2 billion people have accepted it without question.
As the famous playwright George Bernard Shaw said, "If 50 million people believe a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing."

I hope you are all safe and happy, as I am today.

No comments: