Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Bunnies and Chicks Are Not Disposable. Cargo Trailer.

Nobunny Wants a Homeless Rabbit
"95% of the rabbits bought during Easter are given up within their first year as pets. Some are let go into the wild (bad idea, they become Easter candy to their prey), some are abandoned in shelters, and some, are simply abandoned.
What’s even worse is that the people who sell these bunnies are commercial operations looking only to make money off of our cute bunny friends.  You see, a rabbit can have its first litter of bunnies at just 3 months old; there are about 12 little baby bunnies per litter; and a rabbit can have another litter just 28 days later.
From what I know of math, that’s a lot of bunnies. Often times, rabbit dealers deliver these bunnies to be sold when they are only 3 weeks old, before they are even fully weaned! The end result is 20-30% of bunnies die on their way to the pet shops, and another 20% of adult rabbits die as well. 
They treat these rabbits like they are easily replaceable.   How dare they! "
More at: http://www.foundanimals.org/administer/create-content/blog/nobunny-wants-homeless-rabbit
____________________

A bunny named Justice

"This precious little girl was surrendered to a CT ACO shelter in terrible condition. She was being kept in a tiny wire cage covered in filth and piles of old feces.
When taken in Justice was barely alive as she had been starved and literally skin and bone. She was immediately admitted to the hospital where she received care. It was uncertain if she would pull through, but after a few days she was released into 3 Bunnies care.
Justice has a long road to recovery. She is suffering from diarrhea (on medication) and has shown slight improvement. Due to the starvation, she is just bone and to weak to hop. Justice has started to eat pellets (she was on Critical Care) and is showing interest in hay.
This sweet bun has a strong will to live and we will give her every chance with plenty of TLC and veterinary care. If you would like to help Justice, please consider sponsoring her. You can make a difference in Justice's life.    Thanks for reading!!"      Click Here To Donate To Justice
________________

Easter   by Mary Brandolino     In memory of all the bunnies we couldn't save.

I remember Easter Sunday
It was colorful and fun
The new life that I'd begun
In my new cage.
I was just a little thing
When they brought me from the store
And they put me on the floor
In my cage.
They would take me out to play
Love and pet me all the time
Then at day's end I would climb
In my cage.
But as days and weeks went by
I saw less of them it seemed
Of their loving touch I dreamed
In my cage.
In the night outside their house
I felt sad and so neglected
Often scared and unprotected
In my cage.
In the dry or rainy weather
Sometimes hotter sometimes colder
I just sat there growing older
In my cage.
The cat and dog raced by me
Playing with each other only
While I sat there feeling lonely
In my cage.
Upon the fresh green grass
Children skipped and laughed all day
I could only watch them play
From my cage.
They used to take me out
And let me scamper in the sun
I no longer get to run
In my cage.
Once a cute and cuddly bunny
Like a little ball of cotton
Now I'm grown up and forgotten
In my cage.
I don't know what went wrong
At the home I did inhabit
I just grew to be a rabbit
In my cage.
But they've brought me to the pound
I was once loved and enjoyed
Now I wait to be destroyed
In my cage.

_______________


John C. Doub who started the Virginia Rabbit Rescue feeds “Rosemary” a treat in his office at TMI Truck & Equipment in Greenbrier. He is the President of the company and on the second floor of the business is the Virginia Rabbit Rescue. <span class='credit'>(Bill Tiernan | The Virginian-Pilot)</span>

Rescue group takes on unwanted Easter bunnies

"Yeah, real rabbits are cute and cuddly. But they’re more work than you think. Just ask Doub, founder of Virginia Rabbit Inc., a rescue for domestic rabbits.

“Don’t get me wrong – they can be the perfect pet. But getting a bunny for a 5-year-old is ridiculous. A month after Easter, people start calling and emailing me. ...”
They don’t want their Easter bunny anymore."
_______________________

Easter chicks, now what?

Christian and Easter Chicks"Easter is long gone. You and your kids have devoured the chocolate bunnies and candy eggs. But what about your peeps? No, I'm not talking about the sugar confection. I'm talking about those chicks you bought for the kids on Easter. Assuming your kids haven't killed them with kindness and shown way too much affection, those baby chicks are probably no longer the cute balls of fluff you picked up.


The Reality of After Easter
If you're one of those parents who have made the mistake of purchasing a chick, but have no idea what to do with a chicken, own up to your mistake now and promise you won't buy chicks (or baby bunnies, for that matter) in the future.
Chicks are living, breathing creatures who can feel pain and fear like we do. And while many chicks make it to the roaster, there's no reason to be cruel or inhumane to them.
Unless you're committed to owning chickens, you probably shouldn't buy your kids a baby bird that you're planning on disposing of in the near future.
Think about what lesson you're teaching your kids: that life doesn't really count and that animals are disposable.
Do you really want that to be the object lesson here?"
More at: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2906318/what_to_do_with_those_easter_chicks.html
__________________

We have been working on the cargo trailer, but nothing worth taking a picture, yet.

Jay and I have been making the little cubby-holes in the shelf/drawer cupboard next to the front door.  We also built the cubby hole to store the power cord inside the trailer. I hate an RV that has the cord pushed into a place where it gets tangled up with other stuff, so I always box that area in somehow.

We also installed more rails and stiles in the cabinets, and cut out some of the doors, so Ray can paint them. We found out that the door material that I have is not wide enough, so some cabinets will have to have two narrow doors, so that is why we had to install more stiles to go between them.  That thickness of good AB plywood (sanded both sides) is not  available around here, so we have to make do with what we have.
Ray has been sanding, and priming the closet door, and some other parts.

Pebbles, at back,  finally eating out of a bowl.When I feed the animals, I feed the kittens, Pal and Precious, their canned food first, next feed the other cats and dogs, and then make Pebble's bottle. 
She is learning that if she is that hungry for a bottle, she is last one to get fed. 

That's her at the back, a major breakthrough, she actually started to eat a little out of the bowl today,

No comments: