Saturday, June 6, 2009

Trip to Houston. Outstanding Pilot.

Today, I got ready to go to Houston. I haven't been there for a very long time. I wanted to get this little (17" wide x 21" high) dishwasher that was on Craigslist. I don't really need my big one anymore, and this seemed just right for one person. I will build it in, still have a place for a big drawer under it, and a 7" wide slot for trays etc. on the side, once I get my full-size one out. I won't have to bend down to load and unload it, also the smaller door won't block my narrow kitchen, when open. This house was really built to be a little winter cabin for an RVer, and everything is smaller, so why not the dishwasher, too?

I was also going to stop at an RV parts wholesalers where they had some things waiting for me in Will Call. Also, I get a discount there, as I have been in the business for over 40 years, and doing business with them for about 30. A lot cheaper than I can get things at the local RV stores.

Jay wanted to go with me, and as long as he is himself, that is OK. He also wanted to see my daughter again when I mentioned that I might go visit her 56 miles south of Houston. By the time we had stopped at our Post Office to mail some more sold things, filled up with gas, and bought stuff in the next town, we didn't really get on the road until about 11.00 AM.
We made the trip to the RV wholesalers, then picked up the little dishwasher, and decided to go on to Wendy's. That is a long boring drive down State Highway 288, but we got to West Columbia about 2.00PM. She met us at the Subway there, as we were starving, and I can never remember the way to their new house.
We had a nice visit, I saw my grandson, and son in law. My back was hurting, so I laid down for a while. That refreshed me, so we made the long trek back home, through Houston. I missed our turn on the way back, so we drove all the way north on FM 521, which leads to Almeda Road in Houston. It was a lot more interesting than SH 288.

We stopped at The China Buffet in Conroe, and bought Take Out, which you buy at $4.25 per pound. We had done this before, but I reminded Jay not to load up on heavy things like rice!! So we each came out with our boxes filled with a pound of peeled shrimp, meat and Chinese veges. You can buy as much, or whatever you want, but that is what we bought. Their food is so good.

Ray had taken MaeMae out at noon, and Leo, Claudia's neighbor, took her for a walk in the afternoon, but she was anxious to go out again. All the animals were hungry, so I fed them right away. Jay and I were really too tired to eat much, so it will be there for tomorrow.

Outstanding job by a great young pilot from Pennsylvania ! Can't add anything else to this... the picture is worth 10,000 words!

If you don't think our military pilots earn their pay, you need to take a look at this picture. This photo was taken by a soldier in Afghanistan of a helo rescue mission. The pilot is a PA National Guard guy who flies EMS choppers in civilian life. Now how many people on the planet you reckon could set the ass end of a chopper down on the roof top of a shack, on a steep mountain cliff, and hold it there while soldiers load wounded men in the rear. If this does not impress you... nothing ever will. God Bless our military.

I drove about 250 miles today.

1 comment:

Leno said...

We eat at the china buffet Penny and enjoy it...
You really had a full day..
Hope you are feeling better.