Friday, November 28, 2008

From Colons to Christmas

Yes, that is a strange title isn't it ?

I was looking up some medicine that I have, on a health site. I wanted to make sure it was for my symptoms. My cold has settled in my chest, and I wanted to make sure it was a decongestant, before I took it. I happened to see someone mentioning the show that Dr. Oz did on Oprah called "Everybody Poops". I hardly ever watch Oprah, but I had seen that show, and it was informative.
http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/slideshow1_ss_yourbody_digestion/1

One thing link lead to another, and I was on Oprah's site. I had never seen Oprah's site before, but there in "What Everyone's Talking About" was the subject "Jesus Was not Born on Christmas", and that intrigued me.

I was amazed that so many folks really think that they are celebrating Christ's birthday at Christmas. He was 33 1/2 years old when he was put to death, so that made him born around September or October, when the shepherds could watch their flocks outdoors. If they had the census in December, no-one would have shown up, as the traveling conditions would have been too harsh. The only birthday celebrations that are mentioned in the Bible are not Jesus', as it was considered that the day of one's death was more important than the day of birth.

Then there is Santa Claus, or Father Christmas, or St. Nick, who was dressed up in the modern red and white clothes by the Coca Cola Company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus
and this custom doesn't seem to have anything to do with the birth of Christ.

Then the Christmas trees. They were cutting down a tree out of the forest and decking it with gold and silver back in Jeremiah's day. Jer:10.2-5 http://kjv.us/jeremiah/10.htm which was written 600 years before Christ's birth.

Just a lot of traditions that have no Christian basis.

A researching day.

No comments: