Friday, February 26, 2010

FREE E-Books. Soap. Boat!

From Project Gutenberg, the first producer of free electronic books (ebooks).

Why are these books free?

“Copyright for most of these books has expired in the United States. (They may still be copyrighted in other countries). So anybody may make verbatim or non-verbatim copies of those works.
We carry high quality items: Our books were previously published on paper by bona fide publishers and digitized by us with the help of thousands of volunteers.
All our ebooks can be easily downloaded: Choose between ePub, Mobipocket, HTML and simple text formats.
No fee or registration is required, but if you find Project Gutenberg useful, we kindly ask you to donate a small amount so we can buy and digitize more books.”    From: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Now, I don’t know anything about E-books, so I don’t know if these books work with a Kindle.


______________________


Does Antibacterial Soap Work Better Than Regular Soap?

“Ordinary soap appears to do just as good a job at fighting colds as antibacterial soap, and for less money.

antibacterial soap or regular soap
Washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water is one of the simplest ways to prevent colds from spreading. But does antibacterial soap work any better than plain soap in fighting infections? Not according to a study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). “

Preventing Colds: All Washed Up.


Cons of Using Antibacterial Soap
Kills both good and bad bacteria, which may make antibiotics ineffective against new strains of bacteria. 
Can give consumers a false sense of security by creating a relaxed attitude toward good hygiene .   
Costs more than regular soap “
More at: http://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-and-flu/antibacterial-soap.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthAsthmaandAllergies_20100222
_______________________

If you are looking for a boat, check this one for sale on the lake where I live:
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1610762448.html        HA! HA!
4 BR, 2B Sumerset Houseboat 76'x16' WB - $194,000.00
If the ad is pulled, I have copied the info, so just write to me through comments, include your email address!!   I will send info privately, and then discard your address.
______________________

It was about time to go into the next town to get things that are not available here.  Jay needed to go too, so off we went.  We went straight to his bank so that he could get some cash and pay a bill.  It is next to a Krogers, so I always wander around there while I am waiting for him.  I picked up some bargains of seafood, meat, cheese, bread, etc. 
I was glad that I keep the 12v. cooler in the van, as I had to go by my doctor’s office to pick up some samples of a cholesterol medicine he wants me to try.
Jay wanted to try the chicken-fried fish at Church's, so that is what he got.  I took some of the breading off it, and tried the fish, and it was alright.

We did stop at a resale shop in our home town, and I bought a very sturdy heavy canvas fanny pack for the few tools that I carry around here, $1, and a set of heavy duty plastic cutlery, 75c, for a camper.

No looking at thrift shops, no Walmarting, we just wanted to come home, it wasn’t cold, but it was a dreary, rainy, umbrella day today.

2 comments:

Mom of Bark+Bite said...

Penny I thought when walking Sam the boxer I would feel better if he had a muzzle on. He doesn't like people walking up on us. Looked for a basket type that he could breath in. Found one on DogMuzzle.com. Hate sending my charge card but I did. No problem on the card. BUT my email now has 5 to 7 emails everyday from places I never heard of. They had to send the address to other companies.

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Hi Vickie. They may have sold your address, but a lot of spam comes from forwarding emails without using 'blind copy', and/or not deleting the previous addresses before forwarding. Yours included.
Then that leaves a bunch of addresses to be scooped up by spammers.
FaceBook and other sites ask to get in your address book to suggest 'Friends', I wouldn't let anyone have access to my address book, but maybe someone you know did.
Spammers have lots of ways to find addresses.

There are ways to stop a dog from biting:
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Boxer-Dog-from-Biting
and:
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php
Best wishes, Penny