Monday, February 15, 2010

Presidents. Bugs! Mikey

Washington's Birthday is the official name designated to what many of us know as President's Day. During the month of February the birthday of two of our greatest Presidents takes place. Both George Washington who was born on Feb. 22nd and Abraham Lincoln born on Feb. 12th.
Today, the February holiday has become well-known for being a day in which many stores, especially car dealers, hold sales.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington's_Birthday
“The federal holiday Washington's Birthday honors the accomplishments of the man who has been referred to, for over two centuries, as "The Father of his Country". Celebrated for his leadership in the founding of the nation, he was the Electoral College's unanimous choice to become the first President; he was seen as a unifying force for the new republic and set an EXAMPLE for future holders of the office.”

I can think of several presidents who have not held up to that example!! 
Shame on them!
_____________________

I heard on RV-Dreams Community Forum that they are not teaching the kids much about the two most beloved, and very important, Presidents Washington and Lincoln now.
So here is a great learning project for your kids, or grandkids: http://its.guilford.k12.nc.us/webquests/presidents/pres.htm

_____________________


Ronald Reagan quote: "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it".

Trivia:
The "S" in Harry S. Truman's name isn't short for anything. The President was named after both of his grandfathers, Anderson Shippe Truman and Solomon Young. The initial honors them both.
______________________

I am NOT going to stay in a motel/hotel after this:
http://tracking.waterfrontmedia.com/nlsclick/t.aspx?k=28&d=2010/02/15&e=rsvpta@aol.com&utp=&rd=http://www.everydayhealth.com?xid=nl_EverydayHealthAsthmaandAllergies_20100215

Don't Let the Bedbugs Bite
http://tracking.waterfrontmedia.com/nlsclick/t.aspx?k=28&d=2010/02/15&e=rsvpta@aol.com&utp=&rd=http://www.everydayhealth.com/skin-beauty-photos/getting-rid-of-bedbugs.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthAsthmaandAllergies_20100215
Your mother may have tucked you in with this playful warning, but bedbugs are no joke. To clear your home of a bedbug infestation, you have to follow some specific steps.
No wonder we all prefer our RVs!!

_____________________

This morning, when I fed the foster cats their breakfasts in their cages as usual, I shut their doors.  It is very rarely that I lock them up, so they knew something was going to be different today.  They have learned that when I do that, dogs are coming into the grooming room.  They don’t complain, as they know it is only temporary, and for their own safety.  What they don’t know is that Mikey, Sam’s miniature (midsize) poodle, has a cat of his own, and wouldn’t hurt anyone or anything.

I picked up Mikey, for grooming, and Jay, who wanted to work for a while.  It was so cold that the Puddle Jumper didn’t want to start, also it hasn’t been driven for a week or more, so I had to take the minivan.  When I picked up Mikey, as the van is taller off the ground than the little Puddle Jumper, he yelped.  He is hurting somewhere, but Sam and I can’t figure out where.

Jay vacuumed the workshop carpet with the trusty old commercial Hoover.  We put the battery charger on the Puddle Jumper, and sorted out some boxes.  We put some stuff in the attic, and he helped me move some furniture which needed vacuuming underneath, with my house vacuum.  I love my little upright Hoover Nanolite.  (WalMart, $55) It sucks up more hair than any other vacuum I have had, and it is still light weight.

That delayed my starting on Mikey, but Sam was going to be gone for a while, so there was no hurry.  After I had Mikey cut down, bathed and dried, Jay and I had some lunch, then I took Jay home. 
I was a bit tired, from all that I had done, especially as I am still on all these meds for my bronchitis.  So Mikey was allowed, this one time, into my house, and we took a nap together.  I knew he hurt, but I couldn’t find out why, so I had been very gentle with him, and I thought he could use a rest and cuddle.  He loved that!  I don’t think he gets that at home!

After I had done the last hour's finish work on him, I took him home.

Now that I have sheets in the washer I am going to take a nice long bubble bath, wash my hair, and not answer the door or phone any more today!!

1 comment:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Good for you, Penny! Have a nice relaxing evening!