Thursday, February 4, 2010

Computer Learning for a Gt. Grandma.

When I started up my computer this morning, it started to go so slow that it couldn’t catch a cold.  I keep it disc-cleaned, defragged, cache cleared and all that stuff, so I was surprised.  I managed to get emails read and replied, but I thought that I would try to do the steps that Fred had posted on his RVing journal:

Fred and Wilma has left a new comment on the post "My brother Ken & Sister Catherine":
“Hello Penny,
I'll try to answer your question. No I don't have any trade secret. Here is what you have to get:
1. Go to this site: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8693/how-to-remove-antivirus-live-and-other-roguefake-antivirus-malware/
On that page, go down to the first "bullet" where it says (use the free, portable version of Superantispyware) What I do is download it to a memory stick.
Then go down to the 6th. bullet, and download, to your memory stick, (MalwareBytes).
Now you have both of the best "utility" programs I use.
With the first SuperAntiSpyware downloaded, it left an .exe file. Double click on it and the program will start. Highlight your computers C drive and let it clean your hard drive of all the bad guys.
After its done, go back to your memory stick, double click on MalwareBytes and run it also on your C drive.
You can trust everything that these two programs do without fear.
Now to keep your computer running smooth, go to www.downloads.com and download "Revo Uninstaller". When it's done downloading install it on your computer.
Here is the most important "trick". NEVER USE WINDOWS UNINSTALL PROGRAM. It does the worst job ever. You now have the BEST program uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller. Use it every time and you should have a computer that runs like new.
If you like, or anyone else reading this can email me at: fwh246@gmail.com and I'll try to help and answer any other questions you may have.
Hope this helps you. “
Post a comment. 
Posted by Fred and Wilma to Fred and Wilma's Adventures at February 1, 2010 10:07 PM

As all I knew when I got my first computer was how to type, so I am pretty well self taught.  A lot of this was Greek to me, like .exe file, especially as I never file things as I wouldn’t know how to find them again, been there, done that!  (I have an unusual self taught filing system, using AOL’s email storage)  And I didn’t know what the term ‘bullet’ meant.

I have had a little thumb drive, and an external hard drive for a long time, but I never could figure out how to use them.  They don’t come with instructions, as they figure every 5-year old knows how to use them!  (They hadn’t figured on folks in their 70s being computer illiterate.)  You can’t just plug them in and they start to do something, like installing an AOL CD does.


After watching Chris Guld’s video: http://www.geeksontour.com/showme/picasa/pic309_move2hd.cfm?&CFID=24485196&CFTOKEN=90263961    I found out that you have to go to My Computer, then select the removable drive and then figure out what to do from there.  So I managed to get the SuperAntiSpyware on my thumb drive, and even discovered how to find out that it had actually got on there.  How I found the .exe file, I still don’t remember!  And I let it do it’s C drive scan.


As that was going to take a long time, I went through a pile of junk mail tearing off the little bits with my name, address, etc. and shredding them.  Putting any ‘clean’ parts in the paper bag for the recycling.

SuperAntiSpyware found some adware junk, and eliminated them.


Then I found out that the Malwarebytes wasn’t on my thumb drive, and managed to get that on there, too.   While it was scanning I went out onto the clear vinyl wrapped screen porch and worked on the plants that had suffered some damage during that unusual 12 deg.(F) weather that we had.

Malwarebytes found one more item, and I got rid of that. I found the “Revo Uninstaller", and it is now installed in my computer, but as usual, I don’t know what to do with it?  I have no idea what should be uninstalled?  I am sure there are several items, but I am scared to do anything.

Thank you Fred.  Anyway, the net result is that my computer is fast again.
__________________
Quotes:
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.


You don't stop playing because you grow old - you grow old because you stop playing!

You can't have a rainbow without rain!



'OLD' IS WHEN...You are cautioned to slow down by the doctor instead of by the police
________________


USPS tracking says that the Skype stuff I ordered, (so that I can talk to my brother in England), is in the mailbox, so I need to drive down there today.

3 comments:

Fred and Wilma said...

Yea Penny...you go girl! See it wasn't as hard as you thought.
I'm glad the info I gave you helped you out. Now that you have my email address lets put them to use.
Questions? Email me.
It would pay to join Chris Guld's club and watch all her instruction videos. She has a wealth of information we all can learn from. I find myself referring to her web site often.

Take care and we will be talking
Fred

Marty and Roz said...

Penny, have you given any consideration to Windows Live Messenger? Free and you have video and phone access. Just click on the contact you want to call, then click the "call" button, the phone rings, your camera comes on and you are in business, video and voice..anywhere in the world as long as the other party also uses Messenger. Pretty cool...Marty Hill

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Hi Marty, I could do lots of things, but my brother has Skype. He is the only one I am really interested in talking to.

I have 2 cents a minute on my landline for talking to folks without computers. Or use my cell on weekends.

Also, my big old clunky monitor had a microphone, but this used flat screen doesn't. I didn't know I would need one. So I had to buy a webcam/microphone on eBay.

My daughter has a webcam and it caught her in her curlers and jammies, as she didn't know it was on!!
I wouldn't want to scare him to death like that, so I will have to be careful, as I am no oil painting.

Happy Trails, Penny, TX