Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Several Jobs Jobbed. More Betch Didn't know This

The next thing for the Mirage drapes was to figure out how to attach the round elastic to the eye hooks, without just tying it in a mundane knot. I remembered that I had a C-Clincher, and some clamps in a tool box that I haven't opened for years. It was for cinching the wire together when you made cages for small animals. We did a test clamp on the looped elastic, and it held it together very securely. Then we had to have a way of threading the round elastic through the drape's rod pocket. I found this fence tie, and it worked very well. The drapes are threaded on the elastic, but we didn't get them hung today. Ray painted the little c-clamps and we wanted them to be really dry. While we had the paint out, we painted the cup holder that I am donating to the Mirage,
it fits just nicely between the seats.

It really was time to get the algae off the north side, so Ray got out the pressure washer and did the back of my house, back of the RVport, and his place, too. Then I noticed that the 2 back yard lights under the eaves of my house were on very dimly. These lights are on a switch in the dog room, and it was turned off. Oh, Oh, that isn't a good sign. Ray and I put the cats back on the screen porch, as the AC would be off while the breaker was off to the dog room, and took the light apart. There was a little piece of black string attached to the ground wire, we have no idea why, it had got wet, and was touching one or two of the other wires in there. As soon as we got rid of the string, everything worked fine. But the insulation had got wet inside the light too, so we let that dry, before putting it all back together. Whew, now I could turn the breaker back on! I knew I had to leave the house soon, and I couldn't leave the cats out on the hot porch.

After lunch I drove to the next town to have a hitch and light pigtail put on my minivan at the U-Haul store. I have to get some 12' long linoleum, and 8' plywood soon, so I need to use my long utility trailer for that. If I had the hitch earlier, I wouldn't have had to get the birch paneling and foam board insulation cut the right lengths for the Coronado, so that it would fit in the minivan. That's why I couldn't return it.

More Bet You Didn't Know This:
Why is shifting responsibility to someone else called "passing the buck"? In card games, it was once customary to pass an item, called a buck, from player to player to indicate whose turn it was to deal. If a player did not wish to assume the responsibility, he would "pass the buck" to the next player.
**********
Why do people clink their glasses before drinking a toast? It used to be common for someone to try to kill an enemy by offering him a poisoned drink. To prove to a guest that a drink was safe, it became customary for a guest to pour a small amount of his drink into the glass of the host. Both men would drink from their glasses simultaneously. When a guest trusted his host, he would then touch - or clink - the host's glass with his own.

I don't have pictures of beautiful destinations for you, just ones of my life today.

No comments: