Saturday, March 29, 2008

Washed TransStar. Then Bad, But Expected News.











Jay wasn't working yesterday, but Ray was. I had someone coming to look at my old faithful TransStar, on Saturday, and as May hadn't shown up to wash it, Ray did it. Unless they are kept in the RVport, RVs get dirty from the trees around here and it has been outside some, so it was grubby. The pressure washer, and Ray did a good job on it.

I was grooming MaeMae, and doing other little jobs, and was in and out, and up and down steps. Whenever I do that, and/or grooming, it makes my back hurt, so after lunch I laid down.

I was woken up by the phone. It was my brother, Nigel, in England. My 93 year old mother had died. She had been fine and lucid, in a very great nursing home, but 2 weeks ago she got some kind of lung infection, and her heart gave out. You wonder why I didn't mention it on the chat, last night.....my mother and I were never close. I didn't want a lot of OOHHs and AAHHs. I do not know what it is like to be raised by parents. She left me and my father when I was 4 years old, and I spent very little time with her after that. She made me call her Auntie Joan, when I did visit her, as she didn't want people to know that she had a child as old as I was. Her two sons were born when I was 11 and 12 years old, and I was from another marriage. My father was away in the RAF in WWII, and so a series of folks raised me, but mostly my grandmother and grandfather. It was very rare for a child to be put in the father's custody in the 40's. My brother and I had a long chat, it was so good to hear his voice, and accent again, and it was a shame that it was this news that made him call. We usually email each other, isn't the computer grand ? So now my mother, father, step-father and mother in law are all gone. My grandfather used to say that life was like a theatre, and gradually all the people in the seats in front of you leave.

A sad, but expected day.

No comments: