Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Jesus and the New Testament Passover For Kids. Is the Passover Christian? Update.

For “Scripture Sunday”:

Jesus and the New Testament Passover

“Every year members of the Church of God, and the Messianic churches, observe the Passover in a particular way. Here is why, and the Bible story behind it.

Jesus and the New Testament Passover coloring page Peter did not want Jesus to wash his feet

At first Peter did not want Jesus to wash his feet.

PDF to print for family reading with coloring page

Jesus and His family had always kept the Passover, as well as all of God’s annual festivals. But the last Passover Jesus kept was quite different.

First, He shocked His disciples by performing an act of humble service. Then He introduced symbols to remind them of the meaning behind His coming sacrifice.

Three new things

Here are three new things that He did:

He washed their feet. Jesus and the disciples gathered together in a special room at the beginning of the 14th of Abib at twilight. Jesus knew that He would soon be killed, and He said to them, “I have really wanted to eat this Passover with you before I die. I won’t eat it again until it is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God.”

After they had finished eating, Jesus got up and took a towel. He poured water into a basin and began to wash and wipe dry the disciples’ feet. Peter stopped Him and said, “You will never wash my feet.”

Peter was upset because foot washing was a job for the lowest of servants—not for Jesus, the great Teacher. Jesus replied, “If I don’t wash your feet, then you are not a part of Me or the work I am doing.”

Peter loved Jesus and didn’t want to displease Him, so he said, “Then wash my hands and head too!”

Jesus loved Peter too, and He patiently explained, “If I wash your feet, you are clean all over.”

Jesus continued until He had washed each disciple’s feet—even the feet of Judas, the man who would betray Him. Then He said, “I have given you an example. Now you are to do just as I have done.”

He had just introduced the first change of the Passover service. He had shown them that they were to serve one another. (You can read this in John 13:1-20.)

He introduced the symbolic reminders of bread and wine

Then Jesus took some bread. He said a prayer over it and broke it into small pieces. “This is My body which is broken for you. Take a piece, and when you eat it, remember Me.”

After each disciple had eaten his piece of the bread, Jesus took a cup of wine. He prayed over it and offered it to each man. “All of you must drink of this, because this is My blood, which will soon be shed for you. It’s My blood that will let you be forgiven of your sins.”

Just as the Passover lamb’s blood saved the children of Israel from the destroyer (Exodus 12:23), now the blood of the Lamb of God was going to save people from the second death that comes from breaking God’s commandments without being forgiven. (The full account is found in Luke 22:14-23.)

Some of Jesus’ last words:
Continued at: https://lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/bible-study/bible-stories/jesus-and-the-new-testament-passover/

________

Is the Passover Christian?

a-christian-passover-all1YouTube: https://youtu.be/oanySV6OVbQ

“The Passover is a Christian ceremony that Christians today should be observing.

Transcript

[Steve Myers] “Is the Passover Christian? Absolutely it is, and scripture bears that out. There’s an interesting passage that is in 1 Corinthians 5. I’ll write that one down. 1 Corinthians 5:7, and it makes this reference, and it’s not just a casual, you know, afterthought that the Apostle Paul writes about. He says, “Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.” Now, when you read that you could just say, “Okay, well, I have a savior in Jesus Christ. He died on my behalf.” But he’s really getting to a much deeper thought, because a couple of chapters later he writes about the Passover ceremony itself, that the Passover is a Christian ceremony that Christians today should be observing.

So in chapter 11 of 1 Corinthians, 1 Corinthians 11:23, Paul begins to rehearse how to observe the Christian Passover, and he says, “I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you.” That the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread, and when He’d given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat, this is my body which is broken for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And then he talks about the cup, and he says, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. This do as often as you drink it in remembrance of me.”

And so He’s not keeping Jewish Passover. He’s not eating a meal. He’s showing that New Testament Christians should take the symbols of His body and blood representing His complete sacrifice on our behalf. And He says to do it in remembrance. Do it as a memorial. Do it as an anniversary.

So we find that Christians observe the Passover. They don’t observe Communion. They don’t observe the Eucharist. They don’t observe any other ceremony. They don’t do it every month, or every few weeks, or every time they get together to worship. Here, Paul says, “I receive this from Christ.” This came directly from Jesus Christ.

And He said do it as a remembrance, as a memorial. So we do it once a year. So Christians today do keep the Christian Passover, and they do it once a year on that very same night that Jesus was betrayed.”

_________

Update:

This week we have got a bit more painting done, and cleaned up the side of the house from the roadwork’s dust.  My van is filthy and needs hosing down every day.  I will be so glad when they have finished resurfacing the road right there behind my house.

One morning, as I was taking my neighbor to the doctor in Conroe, we loaded my van with a bunch of scrap metal that I had collected and took it over the scales.  It didn’t bring much money, but it helped the environment.

As Passover is coming up, we cleaned the vacant mini-house fridge.  The church stores a lot of their leavened food in that fridge over Passover.  Much better than throwing it away.  All the leavened food will be out of my house and the church kitchen by Saturday, 29th. April.

I had a lot of veggies, so I peeled and sliced them into various shapes. Potatoes cut like french fries, carrots into large matchsticks, turnips into rounds, and beets into wedges. It took quite a while to cook them all in several batches in an airfryer.  I was going to take them to the church potluck until I realized that it would dry them out if they were reheated in the oven, and it would take too long if I took the airfryer with me.  So I have had lots of veggies to eat this week.

A big package of chicken quarters was taking up space in my deep-freeze, so I cooked them in my big electric chef’s kettle with some seasonings, and took them to the church in a crockpot.  Also, I took some toasted sliced mini croissants.  We also had chicken enchilada casserole, green bean casserole, beef stew, BBQ on buns, salads, cookies and pies, etc. 

The Bible readings were Lev. 12:1-13:59, about leprosy, 2 Kin. 4:12-5:19, John 6:1-13, and Mat. 8:1-4, and the Teaching was about ‘The 70th Anniversary of the Re-instatement of Israel’ which is on May 14th. 2018.  The numbers 7 and 70 have special meanings in the Bible. 

As usual, everyone had a very happy Sabbath day.

 

2 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

Always glad to see your postings. Be careful breathing in all that dust, you don't want mud in your lungs (grin).

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Hi DD, Thank you for your comment.
Thank you for your concern. Yes, it was very dusty while they are re-surfacing the roads, even though they sprayed them with a water truck. My van was filthy, and it was difficult to get the dirt off.
I tried to stay indoors while it was going on, and shut the vents off when driving.
Happy Tails and Trails, Penny