Saturday, August 8, 2009

Antz! 1954 Picture of 2004 Computer!

Normally Bobbiecat's food is in bowls on a tray in my bath tub. This is to prevent any visiting dogs from eating it. Also the jumping up and down there, is good for her plump body! Last night I had given her a scrap of people food on a plate on the kitchen floor. I forgot all about it until this morning. I have never had ants in the house until this year. There they were, all munching on that little scrap and making a marching line along the baseboard to the garage. I quickly sprayed them with flea spray, and got the food washed down the disposal, and several of them with it. Then I remembered that we hadn't done any bug spraying this year. I do it mostly for the skeeters, as I am very allergic to them, but it also keeps the ants at bay.

As I said I don't usually have ants get in the house, but they had got in the dog room last week. They wanted to be in the AC, I suppose! I had a bowl of dry food on the floor for the cats, and ants got in it. I had to start feeding the cats in their cages, which are up off the floor, with the doors open. I knew that the flea spray wouldn't hurt the cats, so that is what I used on the ants, and their trail, so they didn't come back in the dog room.

Now that they had come in my kitchen, Ray and I declared war. We mixed up some non-toxic bug spray in the pump-up sprayer, and sprayed all around the inside walls in the garage/workshop, which is attached to my house. Then we did something we have never done before. I have "basement storage" under my house, like an RV. Every space here is used for something, just like an RV. I have extra vinyl siding, and corner trim, extra lengths of PVC and CPVC plumbing pipe for repairing here or the rental, and bins
with electrical wire and Pex pipe that you don't use often. My late
DH and I made panels in the skirting on the back and side of the house, to access these things, and you just have to undo 2 screws to remove each panel. Easy with a cordless gun.

Ray and I undid all the panels, got out the tip for the sprayer that will do long distance squirting, and sprayed all the way under the house. Screwed the panels back on, then put the fan spray tip on it, and did all around the house. They had better not show their little faces in my house again!

Picture from 1954 Popular Mechanics Magazine...
"Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "home computer" could look like in the year 2004. However the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also the scientists readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work, but 50 years from now scientific progress is expected to solve these problems. With teletype interface and the Fortran language, the computer will be easy to use."
Little did they foresee the evolution of PCs and laptops!

I hope that Antz is wrong, and that every ant will not have his day!

No comments: