Friday, July 8, 2011

Do You Want Meat Glue With That? "Thermal Event". B+.

Industry-Wide Use of Meat Glue Sticks Together Scraps of Meat To Sell You Prime Cuts

Picture: Three bistro tenders being joined together with Activa GS. They will set overnight before being unwrapped, sliced into portions, cooked, and served.

“The problem is that Thrombian-enhanced products look like real meat.  It is the dishonesty in it that makes us think that it is not okay.”  For example, pork tenderloin can have numerous small parts fused together to produce what will appear to be a full fillet.

 

meat glue

"It creates a type of franken-meat in that it allows butchers to use the undetectable glue to piece together scraps of meat into a seamless full meat cut.

England banned use of Thrombin coagulant last year. They found it mislead consumers to think they are getting a prime cut for their money, and also the original glue was made from cow and pig blood, something they didn’t think was wise in restaurant meats.

When multiple pieces are globbed together, bacteria has a better chance of growth. “If there is a bacteria outbreak, it’s much harder to figure out the source when chunks of meat from multiple cows were combined,” said Keith Warriner who teaches food science at University of Guelph."

 

______________________

"Is your meat made of scraps stuck together with “meat glue”? This exposé reveals how you may be being deceived about the meat you buy -- and why the dangerous practice makes food poisoning hundreds of times more likely."

More at: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/05/04/has-your-meat-been-glued-together--why-you-need-to-know-and-avoid-this-dangerous-process.aspx

______________________

 

“The amount of bacteria on a steak that has been put together with meat glue is hundreds of times higher.”

More at:  http://xveganvancex.tumblr.com/post/4029723958/is-there-glue-in-your-meat

______________________

 

Meat Glue Turns Scraps into Prime Cuts of Meat

"When I go to the grocery store and buy steak, I assume that what I’m buying is a prime cut piece of meat. However, a new report shows that consumers are being misled about the quality of their meats and even lied to about what it is that they are actually buying.

It’s an industry secret that meat markets and grocery stores do not want us to know about. Unfortunately, the meats that we buy at our local delis might be several smaller pieces of meat that have been glued together using meat glue.

Wait, meat glue? What is that?! Meat glue is transflutaminase, a family of enzymes that when applied to separate pieces of meat have a reaction that bonds the meat pieces together, forming one solid piece of meat. Meat scraps are sprinkled with meat glue, rolled up in Saran wrap, and refrigerated for six hours. After the six hours, the meat is unrolled and a new piece of meat is revealed.

Meat glue is currently being used on beef, chicken, and pork. It does not affect the taste of the meat once it is cooked, but it could cause some potential health risks for humans. If these meats are not fully cooked, they are much more likely to cause food poisoning for humans.

How can you avoid these glued up meats? Well, chances are, you can’t. Current labeling laws do not require that the glued pieces of meat be distinguished from non-glued pieces of meat. In order to reduce your risk of getting food poisoning from meats that have been glued together, you should make sure that all of your meats are thoroughly cooked. You can also ask your butcher if the meat you are buying contains meat glue."

From: http://www.cornucopia.org/2011/05/meat-glue-turns-scraps-into-prime-cuts-of-meat/

__________________

 

Yesterday:

Inside-DellMy desktop computer had another 'Thermal Event', so I opened it up for the first time.  I have had it cleaned at the computer place, but this was the first time I had done it.  I vacuum the back regularly, but I found out that there was one place in the front that I had been missing.  The rest of it looked pretty clean.  I sucked all that dust out, put it back together, and so far it hasn't had another 'event'. It hasn't been making those creaking noises like a computer does when the hard drive/motherboard is going out.  BTDT!

 

Ray was late as he had to take his sister-in-law to get stem cells.    It was too late to start on anything in the cargo trailer, anyway it is in the full sun since those 5 trees were felled.

As my little van, the Aerostar, was in front of the workshop in the shady 'wash area',  Ray washed it for me with some 'wash and wax' car shampoo.  It sure looks nice now. It has been covered in dust for so long with this drought.

 

We had not been able to move my big van, B+ motor home, from the cul-de-sac in front of my Lot 3, as I found out that the auxiliary fuel pump line was leaking.  So it was still parked in front of a semi-permanent travel trailer in the cul-de-sac.  The man said it wasn't bothering him.

 

We took a 'lying down pad', and some tools to the B+, and I quickly touched the auxiliary fuel pump button so that Ray underneath, could find out where it was leaking.  He tried cutting off the bad end of the fuel line, but he said it was all rotten.  It has been on there for 12-14 years, if I remember right.  I had my tape measure with me, (standard equipment in the fanny pack I wear around the place), and as the cowling was still off the motor, I extended the tape down to Ray, and we ascertained that I need 4 feet of fuel line.  Jim, the mechanic, was supposed to have been here, and he often goes to the parts house, so I was going to let him pick it up.  As Jim is having his knee replacement redone on the 18th, he is still in pain.  So that is why Ray got under the B+, as it would have been difficult for Jim right now.

 

Jim had to go to the doctor, and so he didn't show up.  Then, about 4.00 pm, the man where my B+ is parked said that he unexpectedly had to move his travel trailer.  I explained that I had to get some fuel line before I could move it.  He said that if I would get it right now, he would install it, as he is a mechanic.  So I took off work, rushed into town and bought it.   When I returned, he was nowhere to be found!  Sod him!  There was nothing moved around the trailer, so it didn't look like he was in that much of a hurry to move.

 

Ray and I planned to do it early this morning, but Shay's back was crippling her, so he had to go do her job for her.

 

If the man wants to move his trailer, he might have to help me today.

No comments: