Friday, June 25, 2010

Strokes Strike Younger People, Too. Meissen. Post-Op.

"Until I read the reports of Beau Biden’s stroke, I didn’t know that perhaps 15 percent of strokes strike individuals under the age of 45."    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/beau-biden-son-vice-president-joe-biden-stroke/story?id=10605806

"A stroke occurs when a blood clot blocks a blood vessel that carries blood to the brain, or a blood vessel in the brain bursts and begins to bleed into the brain. Either way, blood flow to the brain is decreased, which deprives that area of oxygen, risking damage and loss of function."

F A S T is the perfect acronym, since time is definitely of the essence. Clot-buster drugs can improve prognosis if given within very early — preferably within three hours of the start of stroke symptoms.

F = FACE Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?

A = ARMS Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

S = SPEECH Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Does the speech sound slurred or strange?

T = TONGUE Ask the person to stick it out to see if lopsided.


If you observe any of these signs, it’s time to call 9-1-1.
More at: http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/health-news-you-can-use/strokes-strike-younger-people-too/#comment-186
________________


Stop a Stroke with This Many Walks:

From: http://www.realage.com/tips/stop-a-stroke-with-this-many-walks?eid=7193&memberid=22654565
_________________


About 7.00 PM last night, the still dopey dogs arrived home from their surgeries.   I was glad to have them back, safe and sound.  One of the other foster moms, Chris, had picked up all the SPCA patients from the vet in Spring, TX.   As Chris lives close to me, she brought them to my house.  It was her first visit here, and she loved the set up in my middle room and grooming room.

We let Misty out of her carrier, and she dozily got in her bed in the grooming room.  The vet had been running late and Misty's dental was the last surgery to be done.  She did get up and stagger around a little, so Patches, the foster cat, just rubbed against her, as if to say " Oh, I am so glad you are back".

Paco was so glad to be back here that his little tail was thumping against the inside of the carrier.  Kenya had told me that Paco wouldn't go out for her while he was there, so I didn't even bring him in the house, but carried him down the walkway to the back yard, so he was glad to relieve himself.  He was just as woozy as Misty, but he had surgeries at each end, (neutering and dental).  Then he came in the house and got in his bed under my bed. 
I had removed their water bowls, as they can only lick ice cubes after surgery, and gave them their meds, as prescribed.  Misty's right away, and had to wait until 10.00PM for Paco.

This morning, as I was getting their breakfasts and meds ready, something didn't look right.  According to the directions, 5 lb Paco would be getting more pain medication than 15 lb Misty.   Then I investigated, and it had a different SPCA dog's name, "Poppie", on the package.  I called Kenya, and she got the dosage straightened out.  Gee, I would have had a really zonked out dog!  If I had had to give them both their meds at the same time last night, I would have caught it then.

I should have gone shopping yesterday while the dogs were at the vet, but it was raining, so Jay and I went into the next town today.

We did stop at some thrift shops, and I bought a wooden cheese tray with a Meissen Blue Onion* china slicing area.  We ate off real Meissen Blue Onion dinnerware when I was living in Paris with my father and German stepmother, and I have always liked the blue pattern on that china.

* Click on their little picture, and you will see what they charge for Meissen:
"It was in Meissen that perhaps the most famous of all antique China dinnerware was produced by Europeans, the unmistakable blue-and-white "Onion" pattern.  While modeled as closely as possible after a pattern first produced by the Chinese (for European consumption) the plates and bowls styled in the Meissen factory in 1740 adopted a feel that was distinctly their own.  This was largely due to the fact that the flowers and fruits pictured on the original Chinese pattern were unknown to the Meissen painters, and thus they created hybrids that more closely resembled ones more familiar to Europeans. 
The so-called "onions" are not onions at all, but according to historians, are most likely mutations of the peaches and pomegranates modeled on the original Chinese pattern.  The "Onion" pattern that resulted has become one of the most replicated in the world, with versions produced by hundreds of porcelain factories throughout Europe and Asia since that time.  Many original pieces of Meissen Blue Onion dinnerware can be found in the Rarest Treasure collection."
More at:   http://www.antique-china-porcelain-collectibles.com/meissen_history.htm

I doubt if it is real Meissen, and as the china cutting area is stuck to the tray, I can't see the back and any marks there.

I also bought some navy shorts, and a very cute white blouse at one of the thrift shops. Another thrift shop was having a 50% off remodeling sale, so I bought a white toaster oven ($3).  It will match the rest of my white small appliances.  Now, I can get rid of the black one I have been using.

A quick stop at Kroger's to get a few things, and I had bought enough items this month to buy gas for $2.39 there today.

1 comment:

Gypsy said...

That is beautiful china!

It is a good thing you caught the discrepancy with the pet meds.