Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Locks! No, the Ones on Rivers.

I was looking at some RVer's blogs, yesterday, and this one had pictures of the C&O Canal, DC.
http://www.mytripjournal.com/ann-ken&m=0

It brought back some memories of my childhood in London, England. I lived with my grandparents during the war (WWII). They were very frugal, and liked to enjoy natural things. One of our favourite pastimes was to walk the tow paths on the locks of the River Thames. Of course these are a lot farther upstream than the mighty River Thames that flows through London. Sometimes I would even help the sluice gatekeepers. It was either a wheel or other times it was a big beam that had to be walked, to open the gates. We would do different sections on each trip.




Other times we would go farther downstream and we would go to
Hampton Court Palace, but that will be for a different day.








1 comment:

Gypsy said...

Penny, how interesting! Thank you for a look at another place, another time.