Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Daily Clicks. Squash & Tomatoes. Sparky.

 The Rainforest Site Turns 10!  In the last 10 years, your clicks have saved over 70,500 acres of rainforest.  This three-toed sloth is one of the many creatures that live in the habitat you saved.  Don't forget to click every day!
 Become of a Fan!

Click to Help & Shop to Help More!

"When you click, we display ads from our site sponsors. 100% of the money from these advertisers goes to our charity partners , who fund programs to protect and preserve rainforest habitat.
Our store gives a portion of every purchase to our charity partners.
Please tell your friends!"
__________________

Did you see that?  "In the last 10 years, your clicks have saved over 70,500 acres of rainforest."   Everyone's clicks counts.
So many of our medicines comes from plants in the rain forests, and maybe there is a cure for cancer in there somewhere.
___________________

Last night I had tomatoes and yellow squash which needed to eaten up, so I made:
Roasted Summer Squash with Tomatoes
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgDkyQocxkHIRDkhlebhxjg5gaFqvjUgusI2M_LTwTk31tCuk5tIyHSGSUDOzInmSsFTCVvSohbuETcjOCB6MT9H0cIPKkuwzjO2nfOA62MdpX3r9ElZkx-jLumSYxS6bHz__M0rurwBG8/s1600-h/sumsquash1.jpg
"I love those quick and easy side dishes that take maybe 5 minutes to prep, and then all you do is pop it in the oven and forget about it.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiDKaW_Nb45tZObLuNYhyRU1l8GpGSpQIoa7o0XlH0dTYs2KUn77CjhgA5dPzJmYWxmAw4ouUSr-vwdg-wtGjpoM4_0-o5Q2PlORxzcbN8A9IWs6tSAryINCAuRi_7BvYysNoFh4EP7yPg/s1600-h/sumsquash2.jpgI sliced up 3 good sized summer squash into half moons, and threw those into a baking dish along with 3 diced plum tomatoes, a couple cloves of chopped garlic, a handful of chopped parsley (if I would have had fresh thyme, that would have been my first choice), some olive oil and some balsamic vinegar (S&P too!). I tossed it all together and put it into a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Halfway through, I took it out for a little stir and put it right back in.

This is a nice light summer dish, and you could easily substitute zucchini and basil instead of the yellow squash with parsley! "
 ______________


I like these "absentee" dishes, as you can just walk away and do something else, (until the smoke alarm goes off, because you forgot about it!)
It was good, but it took longer than indicated in the oven, so I wished that I had done it in a pan kind of like the next recipe:
______________

"When served with chicken fried steak, fried okra, and pecan pie, a side of stewed squash and tomatoes rounds out Oklahoma's official state meal. Use tiny yellow and green pattypan squash and fresh tomatoes for the best results.
This article was first published in Saveur in Issue #111
Stewed Squash and Tomatoes
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 lb. small green and yellow pattypan squash, cut into 1" wedges
11/2 tsp. kosher salt
3 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp. butter
8 leaves basil, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add squash and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash begins to soften and brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup water, tomatoes, and garlic to the skillet; stir to combine. Cook until liquid has reduced by a half and the squash is cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Stir in butter and basil and season with pepper to taste."    SERVES 4
__________________

This morning, I just took it easy. I knew Ray wouldn't be here as he had put his back out, and was walking around bent over like some 90 year old.

Jay had called and said something was leaking in his mother's sink plumbing and garbage disposal. 

I went down there to shove some NutriCal down Maddie, the little Yorkie, as she still isn't eating right. Also it was time for her heartworm/flea meds.

Apparently, Jay needed a longer tailpiece for the sink plumbing, so as I had to go to the next town anyway, we took off.

At Lowe's, Jay bought what he needed, and loaded my minivan up with 2x4s, cedar boards, deck stain, and outdoor Spar Varnish.  We did stop at one thrift shop, Jay bought a shirt, and I bought a summer dress, and a Drylon shower curtain for my RV.

After a stop at Krogers, we came home.   Jay unloaded the 2x4s here, as he wants to rip them with my table saw.  I stopped here first, before taking Jay home, as I wanted to let Sparky, my foster dog out, and let him ride down there with me.  

That little rascal must have had some kind of run in with Bobcat, as there were shampoo and conditioner bottles, etc and cat litter strewn all over my bathroom.  So now I am going to have to put up a baby gate to keep him out of there.

My SPCA boss said I might have to start putting him in one of the big cages in my grooming room, when I leave.

Just as I was starting to trust him today!

No comments: