I got dressed in my "going to town" clothes, as I knew I wanted to get an early start into the next town, before the crowds. I had picked today, Wednesday, as the day I would go, as all the thrift shops are open. Some are just open Wed-Sat.
I picked up Jay as he was anxious to go, too. But all he could do was harp about me lending him some money. ($20-50). He had spent all his SSI check on bad stuff and beer, and was broke. "You got to go to the bank and get some money", and "Get cash back at Walmart, so I can have some money", then " Charge the gas, so I can have your money". I had been paying him for the few hours he had worked, bought cigarettes for him, and he still owed me money. I got sick of it, just got what I needed at WalMart, put gas in the truck, and took him home. This is not normal for Jimmy, but when he wants something he will try to wear you down. It works on his mother, but not me. Maybe that is why she has three drunk/druggie kids, (one already OD and died), and my three are not, Thank God. You have to be firm with kids and not give in, for if you do, they will try it again and again. Just like pets.
Why do I have Jay around ? His mother, my friend, is very sick awaiting a liver transplant, and he is very stressful, and hyper. She must not be stressed, so it keeps him out of her hair so that she can rest. Sometimes he is helpful around here, as there are some things that he can do, that Ray can't.
So on to other topics: Howard of RV-Dreams.com wrote on Sept. 19th, a lengthy journal about how the US government works, then on the 22nd. he wrote about how it could possibly be fixed. Let's face it, it is broken. I can't vote in the US, no, I am not a felon..... I am a British Subject. I am not really interested in politics as it is all a bunch of graft, and who has the most money.
Spending all those millions to get a $300,000 (?) ( Wiki just informed me that it has gone up to $400,000) a year job, seems like false economy, and Chinese Bookkeeping to me. Though it does have some good retirement benefits !! But these millions of campaign money could be spent on so many other worthy causes. I know that some countries like Britain, France, Spain and I think Canada have limits on the campaign spending. I believe that the US does, too but someone bent the rules, and slipped "soft money" in a back door.
"In Great Britain the system of parliamentary government permits the overthrow of the cabinet by a vote of no confidence at any time, and, compared with U.S. congressional elections, this results in a more unified party campaign. British parliamentary and local elections are never held concurrently; campaigns are short and intensive, and party expenditures are comparatively very moderate and are fixed by law. "
As Per BBC News:
"US Campaign finance rules -
Now that both John McCain and Barack Obama have accepted their parties' presidential nomination and the presidential election is officially underway, different campaign finance rules apply.
The BBC News website took a look at how the system works.
Now that we know who both candidates are, what are the new finance rules?
John McCain has opted to take federal funding for his campaign, which means that since 1 September - the official start of the campaign - he has been barred from accepting private donations.
What has Barack Obama decided to do?
He has opted not to participate in the public-financing system for the general election.
What would have happened if he had opted in?
He would have received $84m (£42m) of public money to fund his campaign, in return for agreeing to accept no private contributions (unless they were used to fund the legal and administrative costs of complying with the campaign finance rules).
Mr McCain will receive the $84m.
Why did Mr Obama decide to opt out?
The Obama campaign says that "the public financing of presidential elections as it exists today is broken".
THE MONEY RACE
Barack Obama: Raised $389m (£195m)
Cash on hand: $66m
John McCain: Raised $174m
Cash on hand: £33m
Figures as of 31 July 2008
It accuses its Republican opponents of using loopholes to play the system, by getting big donors to give money to the party's central committee (rather than to Mr McCain himself), and by allowing well-funded independent groups to make attacks on Mr Obama.
That having been said, the Obama campaign has been much more successful at raising money than the McCain campaign, so opting out of public financing will allow it to spend as much of its money as it wants.
And with Mr McCain still bound by the restrictions, Mr Obama will enjoy a massive cash advantage over his Republican rival.
How much of a funding advantage will Mr Obama have?
As of the end of July, Mr Obama had raised more than $389m (£195m), while Mr McCain had raised just over $174m. Mr Obama had $66m cash on hand left to spend, while Mr McCain had nearly $33m.
Observers project that over the course of the general election campaign, Mr Obama could spend as much as £300m (£150m), while Mr McCain will be limited to spending the $84m (£42m) allowed to him under the public financing rules.
Mr Obama will also be helped by the Democratic National Committee, which is allowed to raise money and campaign on his behalf.
But Mr McCain will also be able to draw on the support of his party committee - the Republican National Committee - which has proved to be a stronger fundraiser than its Democratic equivalent.
What are the disadvantages for Mr Obama of his decision?
Mr Obama is campaigning on a pledge to "bring change to Washington". Mr McCain will now attempt to paint Mr Obama's decision to opt out of public financing (having previously indicated that he would opt in), as an example of "business-as-usual" Washington opportunism.
Mr Obama argues that because the vast majority of his campaign donations have come from small donors, he is adhering to the spirit of campaign finance reform, if not the letter - he may not be sticking to spending limits, his argument goes, but he will not be beholden to rich individuals, large corporations or powerful interest groups. "
So it seems, still to revolve around who has the most money, not good ideas.
Bill Cosby did NOT say this, but it is has some good points:
" I HAVE DECIDED TO BECOME A WRITE-IN CANDIDATE....HERE IS MY PLATFORM:
(1) Press 1 for English is immediately banned. English is the official language; speak it or wait at the border until you can.
(2) We will immediately go into a two year isolationist posture to straighten out the country's attitude. NO imports, no exports. We will use the 'Walmart' policy, 'If we ain't got it, you don't need it.'
(3) When imports are allowed, there will be a 100% import tax on it.
(4) All retired military personnel will be required to man one of our many observation towers on the southern border. (six month tour) They will be under strict orders not to fire on SOUTHBOUND aliens.
(5) Social security will immediately return to its original state. If you didn't put nuttin in, you ain' t gettin nuttin out. The president nor any other politician will not be able to touch it.
(6) Welfare - Checks will be handed out on Fridays at the end of the 40 hour school week and the successful completion of urinalysis and a passing grade.
(7) Professional Athletes --Steroids - The FIRST time you check positive you're banned for life.
(8) Crime - We will adopt the Turkish method, the first time you steal, you lose your right hand. There is no more life sentences. If convicted, you will be put to death by the same method you chose for your victim; gun, knife, strangulation, etc.
(9) One export will be allowed; Wheat, The world needs to eat. A bushel of wheat will be the exact price of a barrel of oil.
(10) All foreign aid using American taxpayer money will immediately cease, and the saved money will pay off the national debt and ultimately lower taxes. When disasters occur around the world, we'll ask the American people if they want to donate to a disaster fund, and each citizen can make the decision whether it's a worthy cause.
(11) The Pledge of Allegiance will be said every day at school and every day in Congress.
(12) The National Anthem will be played at all appropriate ceremonies, sporting events, outings, etc.
Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes but a vote for me will get you better than what you have, and better than what you're gonna get.
Thanks for listening, and remember to write in my name on the ballot in November.
God Bless America !!!!!!!!!!! """
I especially like the "Eye For an Eye" part. I think that would be a big deterrent, and so many prisons wouldn't have to be built.
A rainy soapbox day.