Friday, June 11, 2010

What The Dealer or Seller Has To Tell You. Dodge 3500. Misty

7 Questions A Seller Is Legally Bound To Answer

"Three months later, my new car was hit from behind while I was stopped at a red light. I was unhurt and my car was drivable, so I went straight to the body shop for a repair estimate. The repair shop called me three days later saying the damage was repairable, but added, “This car was in a pretty serious accident. Did you know that? The frame was bent and it’s been straightened.”
So that’s why the seller had asked for cash, and why the paint job looked so new. He had crashed the car, fixed it, sprayed it and put it up for sale.
Why didn’t I ask the seller if the car had been in an accident? Well, I had zero experience in purchasing something costing a lot of money. More importantly, I just figured the guy would lie to me anyway, so there was no point in asking. Or so I thought.

As it turns out, there are good reasons to ask probing questions of a dealer or private seller, and you should get the answers in writing. AOL Autos spoke with Sergei Lemberg, a New York-based lawyer specializing in Lemon Laws, and he provided the following essential questions one should always ask a seller. Some of these apply to dealer sales only, but they are still great examples of how thorough you should be in grilling someone selling a car."
More at: http://autos.aol.com/article/dealer-legal-questions/
_____________

"Scam 8. The Whole Truth About Used Cars
Dealerships are required to disclose material known facts about a used vehicle such as if the vehicle was:
  • involved in a prior accident (that caused substantial damage)
  • it was a prior rental vehicle
  • a lemon law buy back (the vehicle was repurchased by either manufacturer or dealer under the lemon law because of a defect)
  • odometer readings not accurate, etc.
They are also prohibited from misrepresenting facts about the vehicle's history (such as its never been in an accident, it was a trade vehicle (when it was a rental), etc."
From: http://www.ucan.org/gasoline_autos/automobiles/top_10_auto_scams

Get a flood report FREE: http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm?partner=PRL_A

________________

But dealers are not the only ones to be under the Deceptive Trades Act.  If you buy a boat motor, for instance, at a yard sale, and they say it is good, but it isn't, you can take them to Small Claims Court, and possibly get twice what you paid for it.

So if you are selling something, be careful what you say about it.
________________

Thursday:

First thing I bathed Misty, and dried her.  I haven't done the finish part of her grooming, but at least she is clean, and she can see where she is going, with what liMisty's bad eyemited vision she has. 
I discovered after getting really clumped up mats off her face, that she has a very bad bloodshot and swollen eye.

Then, I left as early as I could, 8.45 AM, and drove the 110 miles through downtown Houston to my daughter's house.  I had a nice visit and lunch there, before bringing my brother, Nigel, and sister-in-law, Pamala, back here.

They were so exited about picking up their new-to-them truck and cab over camper on Monday.   Until…….the seller called and backed out of the deal, said he needed to keep the truck and camper to go to his sister's funeral in LA. 
This was a devastating blow for them, as we had to start searching all over for another Dodge 3500 4x4 Megacab Dually 5.9 Diesel.  They know where there is another pop-top slide-in camper.  They should have been on their way to Alaska by the end of the week.

We searched until late at night, so that is why Thursday's journal is posted today.

1 comment:

Gypsy said...

How awful to renege on a sale like that. I hope the seller was telling the truth about why he is keeping it.

Hopefully your sister will find something even better!