Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day. Chained Dogs. Codfish.

Science isn't everything, as King observed in 1964 during his Nobel Peace Prize lecture: 
"There is a sort of poverty of the spirit that stands in glaring contrast to our scientific and technological abundance," he said.  "The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually."  He was a pretty wise man.

On the last speech he gave earlier in the night, Martin Luther King said,
"I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land."
and "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I don’t think that this has happened to the extent that he dreamed it would.
__________________

Anonymous Valentines for chained dogs:
Please help address the problem:
“Know a penned or chained dog who could use a valentine? Find out their address and call 877-636-1408, e-mail addresses to info@dogsdeservebetter.org or fill out the form at Dogs Deserve Better's website by Feb. 5. Don't worry—your information will remain anonymous. “
Why chaining hurts dogs:
“As social animals, dogs need to have regular interactions with their family. Dogs who are left chained up in the yard experience boredom, loneliness, and isolation, which eventually lead to territorial and aggressive  behaviors"  : http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/chaining_tethering/tips/help_chained_dogs.html
and more about the Valentines here:
___________________

Well, after not having stevia sweetener for a few days, I thought I had my allergy licked, and then it came back with a vengeance last night.  I itched all evening and most of the night.

The only thing that I could think of that I had done differently was that yesterday I took a cod liver oil softgel, which I haven’t taken for a few days.  Then I came across this, from: http://www.naaf.no/en/Information-on-asthma-Chronic-Obstructive-Pulmonary-Disease-COPD-allergy-and-eczema/Mat/Useful-facts-on-fish-and-shellfish/

What is fish allergy?    “Allergy to fish results from a physical reaction to a protein in the fish meat. This protein is found in many types of fish, however most individuals allergic to fish react predominantly to fish belonging to the cod family.” 

Now, if this is the cause it must be a new allergy for me, as just about all the fish and chips in England are made with cod, but I haven’t had any for many years.  I used to eat what they called Rock Salmon, when I did eat fish and chips: http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/rock_salmon.htm

I have become paranoid about eating, or drinking anything today.

1 comment:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

I don't blame you. Food can sure cause problems!