Friday, May 14, 2010

Lack of $500.000 Switch. Doctor Today.

[OILSPILL]
So many people will be out of work, and countless animals will die, all over the lack of an Acoustic Switch. These switches cost the same as the daily lease payment on the rig.

Talk about 'false economy'!!
_________

"The accident has led to one of the largest ever oil spills in U.S. water and the loss of 11 lives. On Wednesday federal investigators said the disaster is now releasing 5,000 barrels of oil a day into the Gulf, up from original estimates of 1,000 barrels a day.

U.S. regulators don't mandate use of the remote-control device on offshore rigs, and the Deepwater Horizon, hired by oil giant BP PLC, didn't have one.

With the remote control, a crew can attempt to trigger an underwater valve that shuts down the well even if the oil rig itself is damaged or evacuated.

When wells do surge out of control, the primary shut-off systems almost always work. Remote control systems such as the acoustic switch, which have been tested in simulations, are intended as a last resort.

Nevertheless, regulators in two major oil-producing countries, Norway and Brazil, in effect require them. Norway has had acoustic triggers on almost every offshore rig since 1993. "
More at : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212031417936798.html
______________

A doctor's appointment this morning didn't really answer any questions, or solve anything.  This blocked sinus due to cysts, is still giving me trouble.  I still can't blow my nose, so I get post nasal drip, and that wakes me up choking, in the night.

He gave me a prescription for some eye drops containing Benadryl, as my eyes always itch.  Jay went with me and we also quickly trolled through four thrift shops, but I just caught a soft cube cat bed, and an enamel bowl.

We stopped at Krogers and dropped off my prescription, and hung around there for half an hour, waiting for it.   We picked up a few bargains there, but not the prescription.  Apparently my health plan doesn't cover that medicine and it was $126.00.  I don't think so!

My SPCA boss had told me to put Sparky in a big cage in the grooming room while I was gone.  So Bobcat had the run of the house, and there was no repeat of Sparky scattering cat litter all over my bathroom today.

No comments: