Saturday, May 29, 2010

Holiday Grilling & Cancer

This Memorial Day Weekend a lot of people will be barbecuing, but did you know that can cause cancer if not done right?

"Do you usually grill meat until it has grill marks or charcoal on it?
There’s only one drawback to that: Grilling meat (beef, pork, veal, lamb, chicken, turkey, and, to a much lesser extent, fish) is hot work, and high-temp cooking creates heterocyclic amines* (HAs), which may increase the risk of several cancers. True, broiling or pan frying can raise the cooking temperature above the danger point of 350 degrees Fahrenheit, but grilling makes it far too easy to reach HA-creating heights.
The first thing you need to do is discover your current grilling savvy. Answer the questions below, and give yourself 1 point for each yes and 0 for each no".
Questions and answers : http://www.realage.com/blogs/easy-ways-to-prevent-cancer?click=p3link1

(*heterocyclic amine (HEH-tuh-roh-SY-klik A-meen)
A chemical that is formed when meat, poultry, or fish is cooked at high temperatures, such as frying, broiling, and barbecuing. Heterocyclic amines are carcinogens (substances that may cause cancer). Also called HCA.) From: http://www.cancer.gov/dictionary/?CdrID=446556
________________

Today:

Sugarboy-2-1 Sugar boy has decided that he loves his little bed, I don't think he has ever had one before.  Poor baby!
He is very quiet so I brought his bed into my bedroom last night, and he just slept soundly all night.  He had bowls of water and dry food on a placemat next to it. 
Very different from Sparky who insisted on sleeping ON my bed, which I didn't really like.  Bobcat even slept on my bed last night, in her same old spot, so she is comfortable around him.
I took him outside when I got up about 5.45APICT0003-1M and he did his thing, and then came back in, and laid in his bed.  He ate his breakfast when I fed the cat's theirs, and seems quite content.  He stayed in his bed watching us work, and he is no trouble at all.

Ray finished painting a couple of places of trim in the Hall, and then he repainted my blue front door.  I took the Hall drapes down and washed them, but we didn't get them back up yet.

The prescription that my Medicare didn't cover was Maxifed DM, and when I called they said that none of those sort of meds were covered, and to get some Mucinex DM.   Jay and his mother were going into town so they got me some.  I hope I don't cough tonight!.

Maple-29May10-2-1 We were fiddling with my Red Maple, as it was leaning, so we put some rope through some pieces of garden hose, tied it to the post, and got it straightened up.

It has grown! That is it, about 2' taller than the pergola, today.

2 comments:

KarenInTheWoods said...

Oh your blue door looks so inviting... nifty nifty!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Oh, Thank you, Karen. My blue front door matches the country blue trim on the house.
I have different rooms done in a different shades of blue, it is my favorite color.
Tha Hall is Navy Blue. The little bathroom, Middle room, and Grooming room are royal blue. The kitchen is Dresden Blue. My bedroom is a Teal Blue, and the screen porch is Country Blue. The living room is dusty rose with royal blue accents, and my bathroom is done all in shell colors, with shells, and a hint of country blue.
Happy Trails, Penny, TX