Tuesday, August 10, 2010

News from 78 Countries! Sweeteners.

If you are wondering what is going on elsewhere:
"The Newseum displays these daily newspaper front pages in their original, unedited form. 831 front pages from 78 countries."
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/

You can see them by clicking in a city on the map too: http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/flash/default.asp
Which might have the weather forecast on the front page of the place where you are going.

In today's Houston paper, it says 'Storms' at the top.  I wish!
TX_HC.jpg
_______________

Today:

Misty and I went down to Claudia's.  Misty likes to play on their fenced porch with Maddie the little Yorkie, and Pepper, the dog they are minding for Claudia's daughter.
Something had gone wrong with Claudia's washing machine.  She filled it with water, and when she went to put the clothes in there, it wouldn't agitate, or even pump the water out.  We tried letting the drain pipe down on the floor with a piece of pipe attached, but it still wouldn't drain.  Jay had to bail it out.


Misty and I went home, and I went back with the van.  Jay and I loaded the washer in the back of the van, and took it to the next town where we know there is a good appliance repairman, Mark.  There was a young lad in there, as Mark was gone.  I had never seen him before, and I mentioned that I had known Mark since before his kids were born, and the lad said that he was one of the kids!     Golly, how time flies.

I have been scouring this area for a good health food store, as I want to get away from using coffee creamer with High Fructose Corn Syrup in it.  I had used Fat Free Half-and-Half until I looked at the ingredients in that.  I can't believe I bought it without looking at the label.

Also I wanted to get a safe sweetener.   So much negative information is written about saccharin, (Sweet-N- Low),  Splenda, Aspartame (Equal), and Agave. 

So we stopped at a health food store as I wanted to try Xylitol, that is the sweetener that is in chewing gum.  The lady gave me some packets of XyloSweet to try, and they were good.  No aftertaste like Stevia.

I really wanted to go to another health food store in another town west of here, but we didn't get that far, it was just too darned hot today.

1 comment:

Gypsy said...

I only drink coffee in the morning and wouldn't think of using anything other than regular half and half. When I used to have oatmeal for breakfast and used 2% milk, I had to use it in my coffee once in a while if I was out of half & half. It wasn't too bad, except that you use more of it and it cools the coffee down too much. I don't think anything artificial is as good as natural, or as good for you.