Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pick Your (bug) Poison. Handy Printer Cartridge Fix.

GM Insecticide Poisons Widespread in Waterways:

"Eighty-five percent of U.S. corn crops last year contained a special gene added that allows them to produce an insecticide. This way, when bugs attempt to eat the corn they're killed right away (specifically their stomach is split open) because the plant contains an invisible, built-in pesticide shield…….  But either way – it's still poison, and it's a poison that was in 85 percent of the U.S. corn crop last year.

The Research on Bt Toxin is Very Clear …

… And this is not a substance you want in your food or waterways. Jeffrey Smith, a leading spokesperson on the health dangers of genetically modified (GM) foods, has written extensively about Bt toxin, and explains firsthand what the research shows:
"Mice fed natural Bt-toxin showed significant immune responses and caused them to become sensitive to other formerly harmless compounds. This suggests that Bt-toxin might make a person allergic to a wide range of substances.
Farm workers and others have also had reactions to natural Bt-toxin, and authorities acknowledge that "People with compromised immune systems or preexisting allergies may be particularly susceptible to the effects of Bt."
In fact, when natural Bt was sprayed over areas around Vancouver and Washington State to fight gypsy moths, about 500 people reported reactions—mostly allergy or flu-like symptoms. Six people had to go to the emergency room." "
From: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/20/gmo-poisons-found-in-indiana-waterways.aspx
Other sources:

Pick your (bug) poison

From: http://www.ibj.com/newstalk/2010/09/29/pick-your-poison/PARAMS/post/22553

Genetically engineered protein from corn found in waterways:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2010/09/genetically-engineered-protein-from-corn-found-in-waterways-1/1

How You Can Help Others to Avoid GMO Foods

"Most people want to avoid GMO foods but it is virtually impossible to do so, since the government prevents GMO labeling.
However, Jeffery Smith has compiled a resource for you to avoid the government block of information. It is the free Non-GMO Shopping Guide. We realize that with the challenging economy it is very difficult for many to donate money to help this cause, so we are merely asking for your time and connections with your family and friends.
You can really help by making this message go viral. So if you are convinced that GMO foods should not be in the US, please send this information to everyone you know; post it on Facebook and Twitter…
You can also print out Non-GMO Shopping Guide, and give it to your friends and family.
If you feel more ambitious you can also order the Non-GMO Shopping Tips brochure in bulk, and bring them to the grocery stores in your area. Talk to the owner or manager and get permission to post them in their store."
____________________

Now I will tell you how I got printer ink on my hands, yesterday.

I had put in a new color cartridge, but my HP printer kept on saying "Press enter to align Cartridges", after repeated tries.
After some searching on the web, I found out that if the ink isn't flowing, it will do that.  I had had this unwrapped cartridge for quite a while, and it was old, so I thought that might be the problem.
I had taken the cartridge out and gently rubbed the nozzle, but it still acted 'dry'. 

After some more searching I came across this:
"When you don't use your ink carts for a while, when you get new ink carts that have been stored in warehouses for a number of months, or when you have refilled a slightly too dry ink cart, the print head nozzles on the bottom of the ink carts get clogged inside with dried ink. The printer head cleaner menu will NOT dissolve the dried ink inside of the nozzles. Water will. Try this. Soak the bottom of the clogged ink cart in 1/2 inch of hot water for 15 minutes. Blot dry with clean paper towel. Also wipe the electrical contacts on the back of the ink cart. Retry. "

But then I came across this:
"Man, this vacuum trick worked awesome for me.. I have had the same problem for weeks and have tried several cartridges. After reading about the vacuum trick in this post, I used the hose of my vacuum cleaner directly on the cartridge (careful not to damage the electronics). After sucking some ink out for 2-3 times, the yellow (which was the problem in my case as well) came through just as clear as red and blue.
Put it back into my printer, re-aligned, problem solved.
Great solution, I would have NEVER though of something like this. "      and:


"Wow!!! Worked BIGTIME!! Thanks, thanks. Use a paper towel over the ink release area though, and hose out vacuum nozzle when done. Use the thinnest tool on the end of the hose."  From: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/18284

As I still had my little vacuum out from cleaning the back of my computer, I thought I would try it.  As they said to use a paper towel over the nozzle, I did that, and also said "sucking some ink out 2-3 times", I did that, too.  But they hadn't counted on my little vac, which has a lot of suction, and I got ink in the narrow crevice tool.  When I took it off to wash it, it splashed out of the hose, too.  So I got ink all over my hands, and on a nearby pastel colored throw.

That was more of a panic situation than my hands, but I had a spray bottle of Awesome close by, doused it with that, and stuck an empty box under it, to let it air.  After a while the stain had 'loosened', so it looked like it might have helped.  I took the throw to the washing machine, sprayed some GoofOff on it for good measure, and let it soak in the soapy suds in the washer for a while.  After I had washed and dried it, the ink stain was gone.

In the meantime, I put the cartridge in my printer, and it started working again. 
But I knew I must have sucked out too much ink, so I ordered another color one from AbacusInk on eBay for $14.00.  Their non-eBay store is: http://www.abacus24-7.com/ but ususally cheaper to go through eBay.  I have used their remanufactured cartridges for years, and they have always been good. 
By the way, the troublesome cartridge hadn't come from AbacusInk, that is why I went back to them.
______________________

Today:
Jay and I went into the next town, and bought tools, parts, and bargains at thrift shops.

The forecast was that it would get colder during the day, and the front really came in while we were in Home Depot.  I had taken a jacket with me, and sure was glad to get wrapped up in it.  The high temperature in the 60's dropped 20 deg. in a very short time. It is supposed to go down into the 20's tonight.

The wind was cold, and so strong that we could feel it buffeting the van on the way home today.

2 comments:

pidge said...

You are right. The wind here in Texas today is horrible. Everything we have outside has been blown away.

KarenInTheWoods said...

Oh gosh, I can just see you vaccing out your cartridge and then the mad dash panic to take care of the mess! (don't mean to laugh- just love reading your description)


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/