Misty had managed to nose my bedroom door open, and had soiled my living room carpet. This was totally out of character for her. Then when she did get back out of her bed, which is under my bed, she could hardly walk. I had to carry her outside, and she nearly fell over. At first I thought she just had a tummy upset, though I couldn't imagine from what, as she is never out of my sight, so I gave her 1/2 tablet of Metronidazole.(http://www.drugs.com/metronidazole.html) which is often given to dogs when their tummies get upset. One dose seems to clear it up, so I hoped that would do it.
When I got Misty six months ago, she went in for her teeth-cleaning and spaying, but her teeth were so infected, that they didn't want to spay her then, because of all the infection in her body. She was on antibiotics for quite a while, and became a happy, tail-wagging, bouncy gal, something she hadn't been for ages in her previous life.
As she is 15 years old, we assumed that her late "Dad" had had her fixed, but they could not see a scar.
So the spaying was delayed to make room for other foster dogs who are adoptable, especially as she might not come into season again. Also, I have no intact doggie males around here. At her age, she is not considered adoptable, so I had planned on giving her a good life for the rest of her days.
But then, this morning, I could see that there was something else going on, and assumed that she had Endrometitis, ( a serious infection of the uterus and is a veterinary emergency). I called the best vet in Conroe, who I have used for years for emergencies, and they said to take her on in. Jay went with me, as he knew this was something serious. The doctor took her temperature, took a swab, and did a sonar gram on her. He said that there was definitely something bad going on in her uterus, but seemed to think that it was her gall bladder that was making her hurt and feel so sick right now. She was so good while all this was going on. Poor baby, she is shaking with pain.
I had to leave her there, as he wants to do a complete blood work up on her to see if there are other factors (kidney, liver function etc.) which would make it dangerous for her to have the anesthetic.
We know what will have to be done, if she is considered ineligible.
So I am at the 'sit and wait' stage today.
"Happy" as a baby
Here is Happy all grown Up: