Thursday, January 6, 2011

How About Vitamin D? Froggi's Freezer. Shopping.

 
 
“Let Me Count the Ways...”
"Research suggests that up to 85% of people could be deficient in vitamin D without knowing it... leaving them with less-than-optimal health. In fact, some scientists call for urgent action.
Why?

Because current scientific research suggests that all cells and tissues in your body have vitamin D receptors -- and further concludes that every cell and tissue needs vitamin D for its well-being.

Not only that, but vitamin D is responsible for the regulation of over 2,000 genes in your body!
Vitamin D engages in very complex metabolic processes within your body. Scientists believe that vitamin D serves a wide range of fundamental biological functions relating to many aspects of your health.

Your skin naturally produces your body's supply of vitamin D from direct exposure to bright midday sun with a mere ten or fifteen minutes' exposure per day.

But for decades, you've been the target of a misinformation campaign from the media and conventional medicine that created a fear of sunshine.
Therefore, most people either intentionally or unintentionally avoid the sun -- or smear on sunscreen that blocks the beneficial wavelengths that produce vitamin D in your skin." 
More at: http://products.mercola.com/vitamin-d-spray/?source=nl
Yes! He is touting his spray, but there are many other sites that confirm this:
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/power-vitamin-d
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=another-reason-vitamin-d-is-importa-2010-03-07
http://www.realage.com/tips/take-your-vitamin-d-at-this-time?eid=7210&memberid=22654565
http://www.realage.com/eat-smart/food-and-nutrition/vitamin-d?click=p6link1
_______________

Now, Froggi's freezer!

Nellie started The Refrigerator Challenge;    http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com/2011/01/nosy-nellie.html
and now Froggi has her freezer showing;     http://2takinga5th.blogspot.com/2011/01/great-day-for-motorcycle-ride.html  There are also pictures of Sadie wearing her Doggles to protect her eyes, too.  Sadie is getting spayed soon.   She is very fortunate to have such great parents.  If all pets had that, my life as an SPCA foster mom would be so much easier.

OK, I bit again, here are my freezers:

Fridge-freezer-door
Fridge-freezer   










Deep-freeze
Deep-freeze-door











As you can see, I store a lot, as I buy it when it is on sale. 
_____________________

Today:

Jay and I went to the next town, Conroe, for our weekly shipping.  Our favorite thrift shop was closed today, for some meeting, so we went on another great big one, closer to downtown, mostly because they have a public restroom.

I had socks on my list, as I need them when it's cold.  I found 4 new pairs for 25c each, so I got them there,  instead of waiting until we got to Walmart.   As I was looking at other things, I saw a nearly new 5200 BTU air conditioner, for $100.   I told them that was too much as they are $99, and only $87 on sale, at Conns, so as they knocked it down to $75, I bought it.  ( I didn't tell them that Conns was out of them)  We really needed to get an air conditioner before we built the cargo trailer closet, as it will be under it.  Now we can build that part of the trailer.

On to Lowes as Jay wanted waterproofing for their deck and I needed white flashing for the trailer, and some quick connect (hex shank) drill bits.  We both had things to return to Radio Shack, and I bought a 4GB Flash Drive for $9.99!  Maybe I can get some space eating old pictures out of my computer now, as I can't get my external hard drive to work. My pictures are also stored on Picasa Web Albums, so they are handy, if I need them.  But I knew I needed a back-up.

They had a 15.6", 3GB Mem, 320GB Hard Drive, Athlon II Dual-Core Proc., Windows 7, WiFi, Web-Cam and mic., HP Laptop on sale for $399, so I was tempted, but decided to look at reviews first.

Finally we got to Walmart,  I hate going to that place.  We parked round the back at the Automotive Dept., as the front parking lot was full.  We still had to check out at the front, as I needed bananas, and they have to be weighed.  But we quickly slicked through the 10 item check-out, with 11 items.   Oh, I am so bad!! 
As we were going back to Automotive, I saw a Rival coffee maker on sale for $8.88, so I took it to Automotive, and paid for it. 
THEN the checker tells me that they had the same coffee maker for $6 on a close out, near her counter, so I bought it too, as we didn't want to go all the way to the front to return the first one.
  
When I got home, I found out they were different.  The lid on $6.00 one was the whole top, which won't work under my shelf, and the basket is very awkward to remove.    The $8.88 one you only have to open the back part of the lid, but I couldn't even remove the basket on it.    Then, to me, they are both left handed.  I fill the pot with my right hand, but then lighted on/off switch is on the back of the coffee maker.  I think I will stick to my very old, slow Mr. Coffee!

I am so sorry for you in the cold, as the weather here has been lovely the last few days.

5 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

I was feeling very shaky for quite a while. My doctor suggested I try 2000 mg of Vit D daily before she started searching further and it worked! If I try to go to 1000 mg/day the shakes come back. I've been on it now since May.

Are you taking both coffee makers back? I hate taking things back to Walmart. Such a waste of time! Not that I don't have time though.

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

That is great that you have a good, well-informed doctor, Sandra.

Most people don't even take 1000 mg/day, and wonder why they don't feel well, or even get sick with cancer or other nasty things, like diabetes or osteoporosis. Now, the doctors are really trying to impress upon their patients how important it is. Especially important if you take Calcium, to get the one with D in it, as that is what makes the calcium work. It is not expensive and the Dollar General has carried for years.

It is supposed to be very good for pain management, also.
A gal in this subdivision has been on Vicodin for her back pain for years, but she says if she takes her Vit. D, she doesn't need to.

If I am taking one coffee maker back, I might as well take both. Maybe I will splurge and buy myself a brand new 4-cup Mr. Coffee!

I wouldn't make a special trip though, I would just return them next time I have to go to Walmart.
The only reason I went there today was to get some Spot Bondo, and some 194 12v. light bulbs, as they are much cheaper there than at the auto parts stores.

Happy Walking, Penny, TX

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Your freezer is so ORGANIZED!! For a second, I thought you had actual LABELS on the shelves :)

I hate Walmart too! For lots of reasons. Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil when on the road and you need food.

Nellie
http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com

Travels with Emma said...

Aren't the peppers mushy when you take them out of the freezer?

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Thank you for your comments, Nellie and Judy.

Nellie, The freezer just looks organized, because the square bins just stack so nicely.
I hardly ever buy food at Walmart. I like the food from Kroger's better.

Judy, The peppers would be mushy if I was going to eat them raw, which is best for you, but I have these for cooking. They keep for ages, frozen. I just run them under the tap to defrost them enough to cut/slice and put them in a recipe. As you can see, I found a bargain on yellow and red peppers!

Happy Trails, Penny, TX