Do you know which foods and beverages might be harmful to your pets – and what to do if your pet ingests something toxic?
Poison is a growing concern among pet owners. Household poisons are not the only thing that can harm your pets. Many common household foods and drugs can also be toxic to your pets. The following are foods that can be toxic or poisonous to your pets.
Avocados contain a toxin known as persin. Persin is found in various parts of the avocado and avocado trees (eg, leaves, rind, etc). This toxin is known mostly to cause vomiting and diarrhea. Birds and small pets seem most affected by the negative side effects of consuming avocado.
Alchohol and Yeast Dough
Not just beer ... all alcohol. Depending on how much alcohol your animal ingests, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, difficulty breathing, coma, and possible death.
Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine that is toxic to pets. If enough is ingested, your animal can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death. Cocoa mulch contains theobromine; the ASPCA advises dog owners to avoid using this fertilizer around unsupervised dogs, and dogs with indiscriminate eating habits since it can be toxic if ingested.
Chocolate is the most common candy that is toxic to pets, especially to dogs, cats, and ferrets. Any candy containing the sweetener xylitol can also be toxic to pets.
Xylitol (artificial sugar).
Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including mouthwash, chewing gum, toothpaste, and various foods. Because it is toxic to pets, products containing xylitol should not be given to your dog or cat.
Caffeine is generally highly toxic to pets, having negative effects on both the cardiac and nervous systems. Side effects can include vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death.
Grapes and raisins.
An unknown toxin in grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and ultimately lead to death. Symptoms of this poisoning can include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, and irregular heartbeat.
An unknown toxin in nuts can have negative effects on the nervous, digestive, and muscular systems of your pet. Symptoms can include muscle tremors, weakness, an upset stomach, vomiting, depression, inactivity, and stiffness. Particularly avoid Macadamia nuts.
Onions, along with garlic and chives, are all part of the same species of plant — the Allium species. Allium species plants contain sulfur compounds that can cause stomach irritation and possibly result in damage to red blood cells causing anemia. This is referred to as Allium poisoning.
All portions of the lily plant are poisonous to cats when ingested. Just a nibble of the leaf, petal, or stem can cause irreversible kidney failure despite extensive medical treatment.
While some human medications are prescribed for pets by veterinarians, others can be highly toxic and fatal.
Acetaminophen, which is contained in Tylenol and other similar products, for example, can be fatal to cats.
Always consult with your veterinarian before giving human medication to a pet.
Other foods that can be toxic to your pet:
- Apple Seeds
- Chives (see "onions," above)
- Fruit pits, especially those of apricots, peaches, plums, nectarines, and cherries
- Garlic (see "onions" above)
- Mustard seeds
- Potato leaves and stems
- Rhubarb leaves
- Tomato leaves and stems
Toxic Household Items
- Liquid potpourri
- Polyurethane glue
- Pine-oil cleaners
- Lily flowers
- Sago Palm
- Macadamia nuts
- Azalea flowers
- Hydrangea flowers
"The new ‘COCOA MULCH’ is very dangerous for all pets – it can also be lethal. Spring is coming and this easy to find good smelling mulch is sold in many stores. However it’s not safe if pets are near. "
Years ago, my friend's little dog suddenly became very ill. The vets back then, couldn't make the same tests that they can now. The little dog died that night, and it was assumed that she had ingested a toxin. Don't let this happen to your little friend.
Jay and I got the wrenches out, and took the inoperable electric tongue jack off the cargo trailer. We went to the RV Store up the road, but they had ordered the wrong one, so back to square one. They had one in stock, but it was overkill and for a lot heavier trailer.
Jim, the mechanic, seems to think he can get the rusty gears a'grindin' in the electric one, so we shall see.
Then we went on to Conroe, and this time we took time to go to some thrift shops. Everything was half price during their remodeling sale at two of them. Jay bought a lovely hand made wooden schooner on a stand for $1.50!! Some mahogany coasters, and some jeans, etc.
I bought another Shark little vacuum, and a blouse.
On to Krogers to get their brand of scoopable cat litter, which is $7.99 for a 40 lb box. That made it so that I had bought enough this month to fill the tank at $2.35 a gallon!
I don't think the AC compressor ever shut off today!