Monday, December 8, 2008

Busy With Sheba

I was up a lot of the night with Sheba. Poor little thing, the coughing wouldn't stop. I gave her some more medicine, and finally she went to sleep for a couple of hours.

Then the coughing started again. I called Mindi and asked if I could take her to the vet to see if there was anything else that could be done.

Mindi had supplied an insulin syringe for drawing up her cough medicine and told me to fill it to the '2' mark. Well, I know that insulin syringes are marked at 1/10th of a cc, and the bottle said she should have 2cc. Our local vet couldn't fit her in today, but finally the vet in the next town north, who had originally diagnosed the collapsed trachea, returned my call, and I took her up there.

The vet said that her lungs are clear, that was our concern. Sheba was given a shot, and they dispensed more of the narcotic cough syrup. And yes, it was to be 2cc, and every 6 hours. Also they said to give her pills twice a day, instead of once.

She must not be around any smoke, fireplaces, candles, cancer sticks, and must be kept quiet in a carrier. She must not walk, and has to be carried outside to do her thing. I don't have a humidifier, but they said that when she gets really bad to put her in a bathroom with one for about 15 minutes. There was no way I could leave her to go buy one, and came up emtpy when asking neighbors.

I did put her in a carrier for her ride to the vet, but I knew that when she is zonked out on that medicine she doesn't move around, so I just kept her in my bedroom. I knew that Mindi wouldn't keep her in a carrier anyway.

She ate well, drank water, and then just went to bed.

I tended the other animals, but I just concentrated on Sheba today.

No comments: