Monday, October 7, 2019

What Are You Worth? Mind Your Steps, Part 2.

For “Scripture Sunday”:

What Are You Worth?

 1 comment

“The value we place on ourselves is often reflected in the things we do.

A young man looking out over a lake.        Sharon Christina Rorvik/Unsplash

Be sure to evaluate the price of your goals and count the costs before it's too late.

They say everyone has a price. In other words, people believe that if offered enough money we will even sell our “souls.” It is doubtful that anyone knows what that saying means—but it is clear that people will often not hesitate to do almost anything to achieve a goal.

The value we place on ourselves will always be reflected back to us one day. We will live to enjoy our good decisions and to rue our bad ones. When we are able to wisely assess our actions and make good choices, the benefits are enormous. The Bible tells about Judas Iscariot who arranged to betray Jesus for thirty pieces of silver (Matthew 27:3-5). The money was attractive to Judas, but it was himself that he sold for the silver. He put a value on himself for an act of the betrayal of One who trusted him. That act made him hang himself once he realized that thirty pieces of silver was all he was worth.

Be sure to evaluate the price of your goals and count the costs before it’s too late.” From:  https://www.ucg.org/beyond-today/blogs/this-is-the-way/what-are-you-worth

________

We Christians must always be in harmony with the will of God. When some material objective becomes obsessive , we should stop and seek in prayer before God if these things are of the will OF HIM!!!

________

Mind Your Steps, Part 2.

“When we are not mindful of what we do and say, our words and actions can have immediate consequences to those around us.

Transcript of YouTube: https://youtu.be/Zeoogziz-8s

[Darris McNeely] I’m still going through rehabilitation on my injured calf, I’m still in this boot. And it’s going to be a little bit of a time before I get back to my normal steps and normal way of life. As I said in previous Dailies on this, I have learned a lot of lessons about taking mindful steps in my own life right now to keep from reinjuring my calf, causing pain. That’s why this boot is on to help in the healing process. And it’s got me to thinking about, again, the spiritual decisions, the spiritual steps that we take in our life. I talked in another Daily about the fact that some of the steps we take in our life have long-term consequences. And that’s true.

The Psalms and Proverbs talk about having wisdom in our path, in our steps, and God establishing our way of our life. There’s another Psalms in Psalms 40:2 that helps us to understand something, again, about steps and sometimes short-term decisions we make, words we say, or whatever, have implications as well. And we need to think about that. You know, sometimes we may blurt out a word of offense toward someone in anger, in impatience, and it will damage a relationship we have in our families, at work, with our friends. And we need to be very careful, because we’ll probably have to apologize. We may cause harm, and we will have to, in a sense, walk that comment back. So, there’s long-term steps we take that impact our whole life. There are other mistakes we make and steps we take that are not so mindful and cause short-term difficulties for us.

There’s a Psalms 40:2 that says this, “Speaking of God, He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock and established my steps.” That’s a good thought, but it’s also a good prayer to God to ask God to establish our steps on a rock so that our lives don’t get out of whack, we don’t injure ourselves, our relationships, and other people. Be mindful of the steps we take.

Again, I’m very mindful as I rehab this injury to my calf, that of every step that I take right now, there’s gonna be a period of time to come back from that. There’s a spiritual lesson for us, deep lessons about taking mindful steps before God and asking God to set our steps upon a firm rock. And that firm rock is God Himself and Jesus Christ His son.”    From: https://www.ucg.org/beyond-today/beyond-today-daily/mind-your-steps-part-2 

_______

Update.

The internet and landline are out.  Fortunately, Open Live Writer works without the internet, but I won’t be able to post this until it is back on again.   I am pretty sure it is the cable company’s modem because all the lights aren’t lit on it.  The bedroom TV works OK, but the living one won’t bring in all the channels and sometimes does that pixilating thing.

A repair man can’t come until next Friday, so I have to drive to Bryan and get another modem.  But I have to go to the Social Security office there, anyway.  I sure hope my daughter can go with me or I will get lost in that strange territory.  After living in the Conroe/Willis area since the 1970’s it is difficult for me to find my way around here.  I have just learned to navigate the little city of Navasota, but further afield and I am lost.  It didn’t bother me when I was younger, but now in my mid-eighties, it does.

When I sold my house and guest house I thought I was through with the “FORD” thing…. (Fix Or Repair Daily).  Just got my van out of the shop from having the dented oil pan replaced when someone ran into the passenger rear corner and popped that side corner of the bumper loose up to the wheel well.  I can’t drive it hanging like that.  I had given away all my duct tape, gorilla tape, and such when I had to empty out my work shop, now all I have here is packing tape, which will have to do until I can buy some, or get it fixed.  If it isn’t one thing…it is two others !!

As I had some ground beef, carrots, onions and potatoes, I made a Shepherd’s Pie for the church potluck.  I don’t know why I bother, there is always an abundance of food there, but I like to do my part.  The Bible study was in a new study book about Ezra and Nehemiah.  The theme this week was to “Lift up Your Hearts In Praise, and the sermon was about “Three Trees.”  I had trouble understanding the Elder who gave the message because he has a thick accent, but it was about the tree in the middle of the garden of Eden, the tree that the man climbed up to see Jesus, and the tree (cross) that He was hung on.

Now I have to get ready for the afternoon Bible study that we have in the Community Room here at the apartments.  A preacher from a church in Anderson holds it here every Sunday.

P.S. My phone and internet won’t be fixed until later this week.

No comments: