Monday, November 12, 2018

Veteran’s Day. This Is the Way... "I Will Fight No More Forever". Update.

For “Scripture Sunday”:

“Happy Veterans Day.  We honor our servicemen and women for their sacrifices with prayers for veterans.

image

Veterans Day first began as a celebration to mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. It was known as Armistice Day during its original year of 1918 when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. However, it was renamed Veterans Day in 1954 to include all veterans, from both World War II and the Korean War, which both ended in 1945 and 1953, respectively. According to History.com, “In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower officially changed the name of the holiday from Armistice Day to Veterans Day.”

Veterans Day is a day to honor veterans but is not to be confused with Memorial Day, which is in May. Veterans Day celebrates those who served in the military, while Memorial Day honors those who died while serving in the military.

According to Infoplease, 18.8 million are veterans as of 2015. Of that number, 1.6 million are female, 11.6% are black, and 6.8 million of them served in Vietnam. 3.9 million of veterans have service-related disabilities.

This Veterans Day, be sure to thank a veteran for their service.”

________

A Closer Look at Veteran’s Day

“Yet, here I sit - in the wealthiest nation on the earth - free to attend the church of my choice, to own as many Bibles as I can afford, to choose my own husband (or choose not to marry), to vote for the leaders of my government and even write a letter to the editor of the newspaper when I disagree with the decisions they make.

And why can I enjoy these freedoms? Because the men and women in our armed forces understand that freedom has a cost. And since the birth of our nation, brave men and women have stepped forward, weighed the cost and chosen to lay down their lives in service to their fellow countrymen.

Thank you just isn't enough. We need to pass these truths on to future generations - and Veterans Day is a great place to start.

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13” From: https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/spiritual-life/a-closer-look-at-veterans-day-1295997.html

________

This Is the Way... "I Will Fight No More Forever"

The cool days of November are upon us. Since I was a lad, this time of the year always causes me to think of the echoing pronouncement, “It was on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month that the guns went silent.” In the Commonwealth nations, this is often rendered Armistice or Remembrance Day. In America, it is commonly called Veterans Day.

This is the day the guns went silent on the Western Front of what was then known as the “Great War.” Amazingly, it has been over 100 years since our grandfathers and great-grandfathers fought on the plains of Europe. It wasn’t supposed to be a great war. It simply wasn’t supposed to last long. But the complicated quilt of alliances that reacted to the assassination of the archduke of Austria at Sarajevo would have it no other way.

Surely, the wise men could have stopped it. Or certainly the cousins who occupied the thrones of England, Germany and Russia could have handled this in a backroom family way. But, well, the rest is history. Perhaps the various politicians and nations had to get the tensions that had been building for decades out of their system. And, as is so often the way with war, the troops were still fighting in the accustomed manner of the last century’s conflicts and were not prepared for the latest technological advances.

Charging horses were no match for newly devised automatic weaponry, and the big guns of war would do their job. The dead deserved a reason for dying.  As the “Great War” unfolded, many sought a great vision and hope around which humanity might rally. Certainly the dead deserved a reason for dying. Thus, this global eruption would be framed as “The War to End All Wars.” Certainly a better world would emerge!  It simply had to be. “  Continued at: https://www.ucg.org/world-news-and-prophecy/this-is-the-way-i-will-fight-no-more-forever-0

________

Update.

Not an awful lot went on this week, though some things changed.  The small fridge that was in the guest house (now mini-house) wasn’t working right.  So Jay and I loaded it up in my van with all his deceased mother’s clothes.  Then we found out that the appliance repair man now charges $30 to diagnose, and then that comes off your bill if you get it fixed.  I didn’t have any plans to use it when I move into the mini-house, so I was going to sell it.  I had bought that fridge new, many years ago, but even when working it wasn’t worth much, so I took it across the scales, and just sold it for scrap.  The consignment shop didn’t want Jay’s mother’s clothes, so we took them to the Women’s Center in Conroe. What they can’t use, they sell in their thrift shop.

Then, wouldn’t you know it, I was given a nice big, two door, working fridge.  They wanted it out of their storage unit to make room.  I knew it cooled properly, because I put thermometers in the fridge and freezer before it was loaded in my van.  But it couldn’t be put it in the mini-house yet, because it will take two strong folks to get it up the steps, even though I have an appliance handtruck.  So, until the floor covering is in, it is in the carpert wrapped up in a black tarp trying to look inconspicuous, as it is against the restrictions.

I also bought another flat screen TV pretty cheap because they didn’t have the remote.  Here, we have to have a cable box which comes with a remote, so it doesn’t make that much difference to me.  I tried it out on my computer, but it is just like my laptop, the screen isn’t high like on my monitor and I was scrolling all the time to see everything.  I didn’t like that, so I decided I will keep my desktop after all, if all laptops do that too.

For the church potluck, I made two potato dishes, one with grated potatoes made into fritters, and the other was roasted potatoes.  Then I took some cooked angus beef and veggies out of the freezer as I just didn’t have time to cook anything else.  I have really been trying to keep my nose to the computer grindstone, getting stuff listed for sale, but things aren’t selling very well right now.

The Bible readings were Gen. 6:9-11:32, Isa. 54:1-55:15, Mat. 24:36-46, and 1 Pet. 3: 18-22.  The teaching was about the “Search For God” and “to seek His Kingdom first and all these things will be added”. Mat. 6:33.

The weather has changed considerably.  One day I was wearing a sleeveless shirt, and the next it was a pullover, sweats and jacket day.

No comments: