Sunday, May 27, 2018

Memorial Day: A Day of Remembrance. Why Work? Update.

For “Scripture Sunday”:

Memorial Day: A Day of Remembrance  

“Memorial Day helps us remember those who have died in war. It can also help us long for the day when true peace will come to this war-torn world.

On Memorial Day Americans will honor those who died fighting in the many wars that have marked this nation’s 242-year history. Flowers will be placed on the graves of the dead, and ceremonies will take place around the country to honor those who gave their lives in defense of this country. Prayers will also be offered up for the safety of those actively serving in harm’s way.

As we honor those who sacrificed their lives in war, we might ask ourselves, will war or the threat of war always be with us?

A brief history

Memorial Day was proclaimed in 1868 (three years after the Civil War) by General John Logan and was first observed on May 30 of that year when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. More Americans were killed fighting the Civil War than both world wars combined.

After World War I the holiday was changed to honor Americans who died fighting in any war. It is now celebrated on the last Monday in May.

Most have deep respect for those young men and women who willingly laid their lives on the line for the security of their families and country.

Sometimes in today’s ungodly world, it seems that there is no alternative to war.

A terrible toll

Though war is glorified in movies and video games, in reality it exacts a terrible toll on nations as well as individuals”

Continue Reading  at: https://lifehopeandtruth.com/prophecy/blog/memorial-day-a-day-of-remembrance/

________     

Why Work?

“It is important to work so that we can provide, but what other reason is there for our labor?

YouTube: https://youtu.be/R_necpnsT_0

Transcript

[Steve Myers] “Why do you work? Well, most of us would certainly answer the question, well, I need to provide. I need to provide for myself, I need to provide for my family, I’ve got bills to pay, I’ve gotta take care of my mortgage or my rent, I’ve gotta put food on the table. Those are the normal answers and those are all good things, we do need to provide. God says that we’re supposed to do that, if we don’t provide for our own Paul told Timothy, “We’re worse than an unbeliever.” (1 Timothy 5:8)

So we do have to provide, but is that the only reason why we work? The Apostle Paul gives us some insight into an important reason that may not normally come to mind, and it’s over in the book of Ephesians 4:28. He’s giving some instructions on how we can be more Christ-like, how we need to grow more Godly in our character and he says, “Let him who stole steal no more, but rather let him labor.”

So we do need to work, we need to work and take care of ourselves, we can’t have dishonest gain. Can’t have it that way. So he says, “Working with his own hands what is good,” so there’s that concept I’ve gotta put food on the table, I’ve gotta pay the rent those kinds of things. But then he concludes the thought by saying that “He may have something to give him who has need.” So he’s expanding this idea of why do we work? Is it only for selfish reasons? Is it only to put bread on the table? Is it only to pay the rent? You see the Apostle Paul saying, “An important reason we work is to give, and to share, and to fill others’ needs.”

And so we see in a sense the working of the commandments here that first as a Christian I have to provide for my own family. I have to love God, provide for my own. But he also says I have to provide for others and help others that are in need, so it’s that fulfilling of the commandment, love my neighbor. Love my neighbor as myself. So let’s remember this principle that we need to work and then recognize the fact I have to help others, I should serve others, I should certainly work also in order to give to him who has need.””  From: https://lifehopeandtruth.com/prophecy/blog/memorial-day-a-day-of-remembrance/

________

Update

Zach helped me a couple of times this week, but he doesn’t eat right and often gets sick.  He is 40, yes, forty years younger than I am, and is in terrible shape.  He gets overheated and tired very easily. He only eats processed, or fried food, hardly any veggies or anything with antioxidents in it. https://www.sharecare.com/health/antioxidants/a-good-antioxidant-for-me    And he drinks a lot of sodas.  You can’t run your body like that, just like you can’t run your car on water.  YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, AND WHAT IT ATE !!  Food is your only fuel, so eat what is right.

He pressure-washed the side fence while I cut down any weeds that might get in his way.  My houses are on a corner at the front of the subdivision so I originally had two border fences.  They (The Property Owners Assn.) said that I could keep the side fence if I maintained it.  They said that about my back yard fence which borders the front of the subdivision, but some silly sod that was working for them took that fence down without even bringing it up at a meeting.   So I have no fence between my houses and the main road behind me now.  The new board says that they will replace it with a better fence.  We will see!  Anyway, in the mean time we are working on the side fence.  As long as it looks good, maybe they will leave it alone.

We also hung the kitchen door back up in the mini-house.  We had taken it down to paint the jam to match the other doorways.  Zack tires so easily that we have to quit early. 

A feral mama cat had her kittens here, and they are so cute, three orange and two gray tabbies.  They run and hide when they see anyone coming, but one little orange bobtail one lets me pet him.  How do I know it is a him?  Because most orange tabbies are males.  The mama has moved them again, I don’t know where they are now, but I have been leaving food out for her as it must be difficult for her to make milk for five babies.  When I know where the babies are, I will catch them and trap her, then they can get spayed or neutered.  EVERY LITTER BIT HURTS.

My granddaughter, Michelle, from my son’s side, came to see me so that we could discuss getting all this stuff and this place sold, but no plan of action has been decided yet.  She wanted all the ribbons and stuff that I got when I was showing dogs, and as I have no more use for them, I gave them to her, along with my vintage Schwinn.

The broken church kitchen fridge was replaced so I took some of their stuff back.  I had to stop at the Post Office on the way, so I could only take what could be kept in insulated container with packs of dry ice.  The ‘new’ fridge isn’t as big as the old one, but it was donated, so we didn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.  I made a Chinese dish with grass-fed Angus beef, baby corn, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, snow peas, carrots, onion, etc.  and another crockpot of brown rice.  We also had chicken salad, butter beans, beef and penne, broccoli, sweet potatoes, several gooey pies and fruit pies.

The Bible readings were Lev. 25:1-26:2, Jer. 32:6-27 and Luke 4:16-21.  The Teaching was How Christ (Yeshua) Gives.  He gives us Rest, Keys to the Kingdom, Power over evil spirits, Living Waters, His life, and Peace.

The sanctuary was so cold that I could hardly stay in there.  The sanctuary doesn’t have a very high ceiling but the vents really blow hard.  Whoever put in that system didn’t account for that.  I can’t stand icy cold air blowing on me like that, my eyes watered, my head stopped up, and I was sniffling from the cold draught.  I tried moving to different places, but there was no escaping it.  I might have to go back to the afternoon church a few miles south of that one, next Saturday.

No comments: